View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DM1990
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2012, 12:21 PM

Keeping a dog outside during the day...?

My partner and I are considering getting a dog, however we both work full-time. As he is very close to home and I work flexible hours it is possible in theory that we could leave the dog indoors during the day and visit him for a walk every 3 hours or so. However I think practically in real life, any changes to our situation, a hold up at work, etc would mean that the dog might get left longer and I don't want to risk that.

We're considering as an alternative that we leave him in our garden during the day, visiting at least as often as an hour or so at lunchtime for a walk. Obviously he'd be walked before and after work as well. This would probably be for 4 days a week, but I'd like opinion from other dog owners on whether this is a feasible option? We would have 6 foot fences and convert a shed into a kennel so he had cover, and would install heating as well so he had this for winter. I'm concerned about security so if anyone has a dog staying outside at the moment I'd be keen to know how you manage it.

I know some people say "why get a dog and then not see it/leave it out on it's own" but actually we're desperate to have one, and just working out the best way to do it. My parents have had 2 dogs but with working part-time they're left 3 mornings a week and they're fine. Part-time working for us isn't an option but apart from work our lifestyle is very dog-friendly! The dog would only be left out when we weren't there, the rest of the time he would be very much part of the family, would sleep indoors etc.

We're thinking of getting a black lab which would presumably be fairly outdoorsy anyway. It'd be great to get the benefit of your opinions/experience if you'd care to share!

Thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Many people keep their dogs in kennels when they are out at work, personally I would invest in a properly constructed one with a floor, roof, pop hole etc.

However I would not recommend having a puppy in your current situation but an older dog eg a rescue lab etc
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2012, 12:27 PM
If you were to get a secure kennel and run then keeping a dog outside a few hours a day is ok as long as he is given adequate training, exercise, time with the family.
I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a dog loose in a garden though even with six foot fences. Personally I couldn't relax and would worry about him digging out, fence panels collapsing, what if children climbed in etc.
What about an older rescue that is used to staying at home?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Hi,

Technically speaking there is nothing wrong with keeping a dog in a kennel outdoors while you are gone. However the most important question is, will the dog be happy? Labradors are a very people oriented breed and they thrive on company. Is keeping a lone dog of a very sociable breed outdoors for long periods of time fair? not in my opinion.

SOME breeds may be happy with this set up but I do not believe that that majority of pet Labradors will be.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
What exactly is it that you are worried about with leaving the dog in the house?
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
A real concern is that many dogs left in gardens are stolen.
Dogs are fine indoors and older dogs will wait to toilet many hours, if that is the worry.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 01:08 PM
When I worked full time (9-5), I kept my dogs in the house but exercised them prior to leaving for work and left them with something to keep them amused (stuffed kong, raw bone etc), then came home at lunchtime and walked them again for 40 mins or so and then after work they got their big walk of the day. Weekends revolved around them.

I would never have felt comfortable leaving them loose in the garden and would have bought a proper kennel/run in that situation.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't think 3hrs at a time is too long to leave a dog at home indoors.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hi,

Technically speaking there is nothing wrong with keeping a dog in a kennel outdoors while you are gone. However the most important question is, will the dog be happy? Labradors are a very people oriented breed and they thrive on company. Is keeping a lone dog of a very sociable breed outdoors for long periods of time fair? not in my opinion.

SOME breeds may be happy with this set up but I do not believe that that majority of pet Labradors will be.
Good points, and depending on the dog in question (and the type of environment you live in) it might also be a concern that a bored dog may well bark excessively and annoy neighbours etc.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Good points, and depending on the dog in question (and the type of environment you live in) it might also be a concern that a bored dog may well bark excessively and annoy neighbours etc.
Yes, exactly. Labradors are not a vocal breed but if distressed because they are alone outdoors they could most certainly find their voice.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >