Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
no werewolf it was not a dig at you!.

...sadly it seems to me, most n.i's seem to be bought with the sole attention of breeding from,how many 'newbies' of these types buy them to breed?(rather than as a companion}..most are new to the type and breed with their first dog no matter what it turns out like,these types then sell them to more people to do the same....and then the ones bred from sold,and the cycle starts again.

eta...ww,u know i love your Thunder (and the rest of your pack as i love my Kia.... i still think the very people that are meant to be the 'safe guarders' of the type are the ones letting them down.they dont seem to be much of a role model or mentor.

and yes,the husky problem is breaking my heart... 15 years ago,it was a hard job to convince a breeder you could share your life with them,let alone get one from a pet shop!!

n.i's haven't been around for even a half of the time sibes have here..and seem to be in an awful state its so sad.
I totally agree with the safe guarders paragraph! Yes they are a wonderful dog to have but until they can sort out the health issues surrounding them, then the breeding should stop. Im not saying ALL NI breeders are like this, not by along shot, but I still think there are certain ones that put ££ before the welfare of the dogs.
Sad sad situation!
Bev x

Ps sorry if my answers are sporadic & mispelt am on me phone, laptop on blink x
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 10:33 AM
In an ideal world, ALL breeders should be made to stop breeding for a year or 2, get the rescue centres empty !!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
In an ideal world, ALL breeders should be made to stop breeding for a year or 2, get the rescue centres empty !!
And responsible breeders are punished for the problems caused by others. Carefully planned pairings won't work out, BYBs have less competition and the education that decent breeders do is all lost.
I doubt rescues will be emptied within a year or two - I believe it is going to have far more of an impact longterm to educate people as to the rights and wrongs of breeding and to encourage those who do want a puppy from a breeder, to ensure the breeder does the adequate health tests, offers lifetime support, etc. Without responsible breeders, each breed will descend into generations of more and more unhealthy dogs, because BYBs and puppyfarms won't stop, even if they have to work illegally. Supply and demand - if the general public can be educated away from these people, then their demand is gone, and they'll realise there's not the profit in it anymore.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Maybe there is something the insurance companies can do? Like offer cheaper insurance for neutered dogs... or cover neutering operations... Might tempt some of the well meaning hobby breeders... But something else would have to be done to stop casual breeders for cash or for status...

A dog limit per household in inner city areas and a licence to breed requirement to hold puppies at your home may help. pushing breeders out into the suburbs and countryside... BUt that would still seem unfair to good breeders who happen to get caught within the inner city catchment areas.

It's a thorny bush for sure.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Maybe there is something the insurance companies can do? Like offer cheaper insurance for neutered dogs... or cover neutering operations... Might tempt some of the well meaning hobby breeders... But something else would have to be done to stop casual breeders for cash or for status...

A dog limit per household in inner city areas and a licence to breed requirement to hold puppies at your home may help. pushing breeders out into the suburbs and countryside... BUt that would still seem unfair to good breeders who happen to get caught within the inner city catchment areas.

I think this is already the case with many, although possibly not enough to warrant getting the op done.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post

why? i dont breed why should i have a limit

and why push breeders out to suburbs and countryside? bad breeders are just that no matter where they live
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 11:20 AM
To be fair there is no solution that wont effect good people as well as bad. I know many places in America have a dog limit, usually 4 dogs per household. But I don't know if there is any evidence of it helping the situation, or making it worse?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
I feel the same way WW. I love this 'breed' of dog. Although I realise the health risks that come with them due to 'bad breeding ethics' which was the case with my princess bless her
I now have an NI bitch, but as soon as shes old enough she will be getting speyed. There are too many of these dogs to be rescued to warrant any type of uneccessary breeding. I was offered an NI from a wellknown NI breeder for £300..a 7mth pup, I hadnt even seen the dog, just a picture..the way
I was 'asked' about this dog i wasnt happy with so said no thanks!
As for Sasis daddy Ive hopefully found him a new home, so everything crossed it goes to plan! Im also trying to find out what happened to Sasis mum as if theres a chance i can get her, foster her & spey her til a decent home is found, then I will!
Bev x
Hi Bev, bless you ref Sasi's parents. Good luck and please keep us posted. Have Sasi's breeders kept intouch?
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Hi Bev, bless you ref Sasi's parents. Good luck and please keep us posted. Have Sasi's breeders kept intouch?
Hi WW, Ive e-mailed them a couple of times with pics of Sasi & updates & heard nothing back from them. I've mailed them again last night asking about Sasi's parents....still awaiting a reply....
I just really feel for them as they were both rehomed 2 or 3 times, then a few months into this home, they have pups & are now being rehomed again!
Bev x
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Hi WW, Ive e-mailed them a couple of times with pics of Sasi & updates & heard nothing back from them. I've mailed them again last night asking about Sasi's parents....still awaiting a reply....
I just really feel for them as they were both rehomed 2 or 3 times, then a few months into this home, they have pups & are now being rehomed again!
Bev x
That is so so sad Bev. I really do hope they get back to you and accept your offer of helping Sasi's parents xxxxx
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >