Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
gosh..if i had the choice between Bedford and Cornwall..id know where i would go...let alone the dogs lol
LOL! just what I was thinking, after visiting Luton a couple of weeks ago.

alfmar, I am very disappointed that you won't even consider rachluvslabs in Cornwall. An experienced Lab owner and young family who are willing to potentially offer both dogs a home; what more could you want? As already pointed out by Pilgrim, is you wanting to keep both dogs in the area in THEIR best interests?

If you rehome a dog to someone, that person/s are under no obligation to allow you to still be involved in that dogs life. In fact, I would actively NOT want the previous owner of the dog(s) involved in ANY way -- that dog is now mine and contact from the previous owner will only serve to confuse them. I would maybe keep them updated by phone or email if they wished but I would not want physical contact.

I think you are being very unrealistic if you expect to find a home for two dogs in your local area that will allow you to still see them regularly.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Why do they need to be rehomed in Beds? I don`t understand...
Because she wants to still see the dogs.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
LOL! just what I was thinking, after visiting Luton a couple of weeks ago.

alfmar, I am very disappointed that you won't even consider rachluvslabs in Cornwall. An experienced Lab owner and young family who are willing to potentially offer both dogs a home; what more could you want? As already pointed out by Pilgrim, is you wanting to keep both dogs in the area in THEIR best interests?

If you rehome a dog to someone, that person/s are under no obligation to allow you to still be involved in that dogs life. In fact, I would actively NOT want the previous owner of the dog(s) involved in ANY way -- that dog is now mine and contact from the previous owner will only serve to confuse them. I would maybe keep them updated by phone or email if they wished but I would not want physical contact.

I think you are being very unrealistic if you expect to find a home for two dogs in your local area that will allow you to still see them regularly.
just as I was thinking. Poppy has seen her previous owners a few times, and completely ignored them (went mental for her breeder tho!)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Because she wants to still see the dogs.
webcam? Photos? Holidays?
I can`t imagine many owners being happy at frequent visits from previous carers btw!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm a bit divided on this subject. Firstly I can see reasons why the poster wants to keep them together especially if rehoming for someone else and that is their request that they are to stay near to the person rehoming and be kept together.

But I do feel it is a shame that good homes may be passed up because of this. I agree once the dogs are handed over it is nice to keep in touch so you know the dog (s) are settled and happy. Maybe not in personal contact though not to often anyway. Zanta went back to the breeder and was then rehomed to a lady in the West Midlands she did offer for us to go and visit her they offered to meet us half way we declined not because Zanta would of been upset she wouldn't she went back to the breeder without a backward glance at us but because it was to emotional for us at the time. We kept in touch via e-mail and photos.

We did see her recently Sam who now owns and loves her offered for us to go for cuddles when we lost Ollie and we did accept. It had been nearly 6 years since we had seen her and I knew I could see her as Sams dog not mine now.

It was a lovely and a thoughful gesture. Would we go and see her again probably not. Zanta is happy and settled that is all that matters and she is no longer mine and never will be and I personally feel that is best for all of us. I feel if a good home came up and you did the homecheck and were happy and had them homed on say a trial basis and if it didn't work out they came back that would be good I know the distance may be a long one but surely if it means the dogs get a good home that is all that matters. If it works out you make sure you have addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses and an understanding if the new owners move you are to be informed and if things go pear shaped at any time they have to be returned to you.

Even if they are rehomed in the same town or county there is no guarantee the new owners will keep in touch or inform you if they move. I suppose at the end of the day it is down to Alfmar which route they decide to take.

I wish you luck in your search and hope you can find the home they so obviously deserve.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:36 PM
When I had to rehome mine, I made sure that I would be able to visit them in their new homes, they all settled in wonderfully, they remembered me and made a fuss of me when I visited, but they didn't cling to me or cry when it was time for me to go again.

I obviously chose their new homes wisely, which was a great comfort to me after having to face such a distressing decision.

I understand what people are saying about it being distressing for the dog to have it's owner visit, but I allowed enough time for them to settle before visiting, and placed them with people that would give them the very best in life. To not have been able to see them ever again would have killed me though

I agree that the home offered by rachluvslabs sounds ideal and I hope that some lucky dog manages to find it's way to her front door very soon
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I can surely see the OP's pov - if a dog was left in my care I'd want to make sure they were looked after too, but (as many have pointed out) Rachluvslabs sounds like she could offer a very good experienced and loving home for both of these dogs - and if it were me I would at least consider her, and make the effort to do a personal home check (or whatever it takes to ascertain whether she might be suitable or not).

What happens if you can't find a home? You say you'll keep them there but they will get settled, attached (and you to them too) - which will make it a major upset. I would think the longer they stay the more they should stay (for life) - but that's just me personally.

Of course it's your decision - and I don't imagine it's easy. Sounds like you have become attached to them... maybe adopting them yourself might be worthy of deeper consideration.
Jacquiestringer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Have you tried the Dogs Trust to help you rehome them together?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I can't believe the opportunity of a fantastic sounding home for these two dogs is being passed by all because it's a bit further away that what was originally wanted. How sad.

I also don't understand why they have to stay in Bedford? And Bedford v Cornwall - no contest! I know where I'd rather be! What a wonderful place to live with dogs.

The offer of a homecheck from Rune and Tassle is fantastic and if the dogs best interests were at heart here, I'd certainly make sure that homecheck was taken up and taken up pronto if you are not keeping these boys yourself. Why prolong their search when it sounds like a fantastic home is on offer, it's mad!

I'd go to the other end of the country to rehome a dog - and, no, I'm not made of money!

I fostered a JRT a couple of years ago. I live in the West of Scotland. My friend who offered him a fantastic home lives in Suffolk - 450 miles away from me. We met half way at a services area and I gave him to his new owner then. He is now happily still living in that home with two other JRTs.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Carlisle to collect a Border Terrier x for rehoming. The owner comes from Preston and I met my friend around half way to collect the dog. The owner was decent enough to realise that the dog must come first and if it meant the dog travelling a bit further to find the right, perfect, forever home, then so be it. She orginally wanted the dog to be rehomed locally so as she could still see her, but that would very possible be too confusing and upsetting for the dog (and for the previous owner as well). The dog is now happily settled in her forever home, being spoilt rotten and having a wonderful life.

God, I would even go to Cornwall to rehome a dog if it meant them getting the right, forever home! It's not impossible, it can be done.

If Rune and Tassle did the homecheck (they are very dog savvy people!) and all was well, surely you could meet halfway between Bedford and Cornwall? Maybe the possibly new owner would even come up to Bedford to collect the dogs! IMO, this is too good a possible opportunity for the dogs to miss out on and, let's face it, the dogs should come first.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
I must say I am gob smacked. It is hard rehoming dogs, but isnt the dogs welfare more important that your own feelings? There is no reason for the two dogs to stay close other than for the previous owner to keep in contact, this can be done from a distance, and is also not something the dogs will care for. Turning down a good home due to locations is baffling - There are many dogs out in rescue, and times are hard finding them homes, location of owners to a certain extent should be well down the list - working with rescue I couldnt imagine turning down a decent home, or at least checking out a decent home due to where they choose to live.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >