Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 02:28 PM

Demodex and breeding

would you ever breed from a dog that had in the past had an outbreak of demodex? not puppy demodex but an outbreak as an adult?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
would you ever breed from a dog that had in the past had an outbreak of demodex? not puppy demodex but an outbreak as an adult?
I think it would all depend on the dog to be honest, if said dog was continually breaking out then probably not, as it may be a sign of other health factors in the dog, but a one off, and never to be seen again.. then probably yes.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 03:55 PM
It's not a gentic problem, it's caused by mites though, so surely it's not hereditary, so I can't see it being a problem myself as long as all the other health problems are checked.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It's not a gentic problem, it's caused by mites though, so surely it's not hereditary, so I can't see it being a problem myself as long as all the other health problems are checked.
But sometimes its a case of a snowball affect, the mites happen because of a poor imune system, but if its just a one off, due to the dog being unwell or stressed and then they have a mite infestation,, and you clear it up.. then yes I would have no problem breeding.

And my guess is as Shona, has more than one dog with mites, its not a hereditary problem, more stress or just bad luck
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 04:53 PM
After Ozzy having had Demodex (and we learned later his siblings did too), we went through a very tough time to get rid of it. The vet said that his immune system was probably weaker and therefore would be more prone to getting ailments than normal (which did happen sadly )

I would be concerned that if it was the bitch in particular that was being bred from that had it. That she could have a weak immune system that would only be compromised further by the stress of pregnancy. I would also be worried that this weaker immune system was passed onto the pups - just like Ozzy & his littermates

I wouldn't want to put either the puppy or the prosepective owner through that. It really was hell to get rid of.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 05:22 PM
thanks for the input guys,

I guess its all hypothetical anyway, given hollys age and the current situation with dougie and myself, it was never going to happen anyway

this link is quite interesting,

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...tic_mange.html

I have to agree that the mite must be able to spread? given that vinnie has lost hair round his eye, surely two dogs wouldnt have an immune system crash at exactly the same time?

holly would appear to have localized demodex at the moment, poor sole.