View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

08-04-2005, 07:19 AM

Homeopathic Treatments

27. Homeopathic Treatments: I am a strong advocate of homeopathic medicines for dogs especially in areas of Timidity, Fear and Anxiety. The more common and easily obtainable are Dr Bach’s Rescue Remedy, (chemist or health food shop, internet) D.A.P Diffuser (internet or vets) and Skullcap and Valerian (health stores chemists internet.

These can be especially helpful in situations such as separation anxiety excessive barking and firework and thunder phobias.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Doglistener do the DAP diffusers really work?

I was thinking about using one when Archie cries at night, would it work in this situation?
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I've tried Rescue remedy with Luca (suffers from SA) and I've found it hasn't made a great deal of diference.

I haven't tried Valerian or Scullcap yet. What is the dosage DL? I'd be interested in trying them.
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

08-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie
I've tried Rescue remedy with Luca (suffers from SA) and I've found it hasn't made a great deal of diference.

I haven't tried Valerian or Scullcap yet. What is the dosage DL? I'd be interested in trying them.
Depends on weight of dog. DAP diffusers are brilliant I have been recommending them for some time now. Like food and anything else I normally recommend I do not sell it unless I have invented it and cannot get it elsewhere.

What that means is I have no axe to grind therefore if you want Skullcap and Valerian or DAPs then you need to go elsewhere to buy them. I am a fan of Dr Bach's but I find it more effective combined with say DAPs.

I am also a great believer in vitamin B6 which raises the seretonin levels and makes for a more contented dog. I am also testing a homoeopathic called "Anxiety" That has had rave reports.

I prefer homoeopathic but sometimes in extreme cases have to resort to mainstream drugs such as Prozac.

Stan
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm a huge fan of Homeopathy after having a lecture on it, before I thought it was a load of rubbish! Arnica is good for trauma like falling down the stairs (for people) or a dog attack (for dogs!) (Think Pic could've done with some of this earlier!!).
Echinacea is aslo good to boost the immune system, but must only be taken for a couple of weeks as it becomes in effective after that! For example take it if you know you're going into hospital or before your dog goes to the vets.
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

09-04-2005, 07:04 AM
This is part of an article I wrote regarding fearful and timid dogs.

These are a number of homeopathic and mainstream drugs that can be used in situations of stress, fear, aggression, barking, noise aversion etc, :

• Dr Bach’s Flower Remedies: They are made from wild flowers. These gentle remedies are used to help relieve emotional and stress related disturbances in people and animals. The most common one used is Dr Bach’s Rescue Remedy
Available Chemist, health food shop or internet

• Skullcap and Valerian: A traditional herbal remedy for the symptomatic relief of anxiety, nervousness, excitability and travel sickness, and an adjunct in the treatment of epilepsy in dogs and cats. Normally supplied in a sugar coated tablet, it helps to calm and relax dogs and cats suffering from, apprehension, phobias or hyperactivity.
Available Chemist, health food shop or internet

• D.A.P Diffusers: In mammals all lactating females release substances which are called appeasing pheromones, the function is to reassure and calm their offspring, In the bitch these are produced 3-5 days post whelping by the sebaceous glands of the belly near the milk glands.

They are believed to enhance attachment between mother and pups and to reassure and comfort. As the pup explores its new environment it will come across new stimuli which set off emotional reactions and stresses.

The pup reacts by looking for mum with her reassuring odour which stabilises its emotional state. Research has shown that these reassuring properties last well into adulthood. They appear to modulate both emotional state and social interaction throughout the dog’s life. The DAP Diffuser standing for Dog Appeasing Pheromone Diffuser is a chemical mimic of the mothers natural pheromone and is supplied in spray and plug in varieties. I prefer the plug in as it has a culminative effect constantly seeding the area with calming smells.
Available Vet or Internet.

• Prozac: Mainstream controlled drug and only available from your Veterinarian. Originally developed for humans, the controversial antidepressant is now being prescribed by veterinarians for dogs suffering from a variety of emotional disorders.

This is sometimes used in cases of depression, aggression panic attacks and serious phobic responses. The drug is believed to work in the same way as it does in humans by altering the uptake of the brain chemical serotonin. Scientists hope the drug will cut the number of dog attacks and lead to fewer animals being destroyed, normally used with a tapering program of drug treatment
Available Vet only

With all the above it is always prudent to discuss any medication homeopathic or otherwise with your Vet before embarking on any treatment program.

Stan