Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moniq
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2005, 06:00 AM

Change of character

I have heard so much about character changes in sterilized dog. Mostly that her appetite may increase and she may be less active. If these changes appear can you say how quickly after operation? In a week? In a month? In a year?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 07:02 AM
think this depends on the individual bitch, I know one friend of mine has had two bitches spayed, and both look fit as fiddles and no different to what they were before(my friend gives plenty of exercise) and watches food intake. on the other hand another friend of mine had her bitch spayed a few months ago, and I was very surprised when I saw her dog the other week, she had gained a considerable amount of weight and the coat had gone very long and thick, it looked totally different to how it was before,this friend does'nt give as much exercise.

MO
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Hi there ...I have never had a problem my present bitch was done 13 years ago and looks and behaves the same as the day she was done. The only problem I have had has been with the bitches who weren't spayed who died of pyometra or mammary tumour
Carole
Supervisor

05-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Ive not noticed much change in Star apart from not being able to keep weight on her the opposite of what most people say. Her appetite is just the same as before spaying.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

05-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Another thing to bear in mind is that, very often, a bitch is spayed at around the time she enters adulthood. This coincides with the time when she requires less calories than she did as a very young, growing pup. If puppy food/high calorie food is still fed then she will be inclined to gain weight, and would have done so irrespective of spaying.

I have had both spayed & intact bitches. I believe that overweight & laziness is caused by overfeeding and insufficient exercise. I do agree, however, that, in some breeds, spaying may cause a marked change in coat.

I have found that my spayed bitches are no different in appearance, temperament, weight, size, energy levels, or mental maturity, than my intact bitches.
moniq
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2005, 09:26 AM
My bitch is unknown breed - I found her when she was about two months old. Now she is nearly six years old and was spayed about two weeks ago.
I have noticed she eats and drinks (esp. drinks) a lot more than usually and I have wondered is this because of spaying, just temporary mood or because of false pregnancy (it just started and sometimes when she has false pregnancy she also eats more).
Until now she has usually eaten in day quite a little - about half from daily amount that is shown on food package.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 11:44 AM
My vet told me it's the metabolism that makes them put on weight - not an increase in appetite.
Sometimes, spaying a bitch can make their metabolism slow down, thats why they might put on weight.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
i have heard that as well..........
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Shelby has been spayed for over 5 years. When I got her she was thin, I made her fat spoiling her and now she's back to normal weight. Other than creating the problem on my own...I've never noticed anything different about her appetite than that of a 'normal' dog.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Never seen any change in any of mine when they were speyed apart from they are happy all years round and not miserable for weeks at a time when in season. Weight - well one of mine did put on weight but she was a podgy pup and we were over feeding her as soon as we took that in hand she lost the weight and had no further problems. The only one we didn't spey we lost to mammary cancer