View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks, didn't know about the liver, they've both had a small amount for sunday dinner, today's breakfast and dinner...oops!

Hoofa surprised me, he didn't seem to know what to do with it. I bet if it was cooked he'd wolf it down though!

A few people have recommended Landywood. The think I'm a bit concerned about is my lack of freezer space though..it's just one of the tiny ones above the fridge. I asked the butcher if they do lower grade/offcuts but they don't, but there's a chicken factory nearby where I can get cheap chicken

Oh also...calcium levels...I know large breeds need minimal amounts, do you think say 2 eggs a week would be ok?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 08:23 AM
r.e. Eggs - I give Teagan 2 to 4 a week, on alternative days
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 08:46 AM
I really cant get my head around feeding raw although i really am interesting in switching !
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Cheers Hevvur

How often (if at all) do you feed cottage cheese?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 11:43 AM
It depends when I buy it..
I alternate cottage cheese with pro bio yoghurt.
I buy a tub of one, use it every day, or every few days (just a bit a day, not the whole tub), then buy the other, use that, buy the other etc...
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Mine won't eat raw liver so I put it into a food processor with hearts and veges and they love it.
I don't feed any suppliments and feed my lot about 1 egg each a week.I don't feed cottage cheese but do feed the odd natural bio yoghurt
The thing with raw is that the diet does not need be balanced every day...just over a period of about 2-3 weeks.
As for freezer space...well I went and brought a medium sized cheap chest freezer and put it in the shed.The money I save and the convenience of being able to bulk buy make it well worth it.You should be able to fit about 150lb in a small chest frezer.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Mine eat the liver frozen Landywoods liver is large chunks so I chop it up and give them a chunk frozen they love it, yet if it defrosted they would turn their head away

MO
metalmorphosis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Excellent cheers for the tips, today they had chicken thighs, tripe, mackerel, egg and apple, with a little bit of Autarky It's so nice to see them really lick the bowl clean

I read that poos turn white after a day out in the sun, but theirs are fairly white straight away, is that normal?

Regarding freezer space, my kitchen is so tiny I can't even fit the fridge freezer in it, it's in the dining room for now! (Kitchen is 10ft x 4ft!) Only lived here 2 months, our first owned house so thinking about extending out a couple of feet into the yard. We do have an outside toilet so maybe when I knock the toilet out I can stick a chest freezer in there. At least we're right behind Somerfields so at least don't need to stock up our own food in advance
Theemx
Dogsey Junior

05-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Hmmmmm dont mix raw and complete in the same meal.

It digests at different rates so its really not worth doing.

When i switched my lot i just went straight from one to the other. and bar the first day or so of 'oh man i have to actually CHEW this....?' they were fine and had no problems at all.

The white poos, when they get used to digesting bone a bit better these may stop, depends how much bone to meat they are getting though. Too much and it will be quite dry, white and chalky straight away.

Em
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2005, 12:26 AM
At first I was worried, as Teagans poo had bits of bone in it.
This was because her system wasn't used to digesting the bone.
After a week or so, there were only occasionally tiny bits of bone in.
Once she was used to the diet, her poo was always a very light brown colour, varying to white, and very easy to pick up!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >