Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-04-2005, 07:12 PM

Adult teeth

When do a dogs adult teeth start 2come out? my dog his 6months now he has very small teeth compared 2 his brother pup..he has lost both his K9 teeth before chewing on a slipper lol.. but they seem to be growing back now when will his adult teeth come out?
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Typically at 6-7 months a puppy will have 42 adult teeth. It varies a bit among breeds but that's the average. Could the 'little' teeth you see be his adult teeth growing in?
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Spock
Typically at 6-7 months a puppy will have 42 adult teeth. It varies a bit among breeds but that's the average. Could the 'little' teeth you see be his adult teeth growing in?
I hope so he has lost his teeth a few times due to slippers i will waith till he is about 8months if they are still tiny ill take him to the vets, is playing tug with him ok? as he loves it but i dont want to damage his teeth
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 09:27 AM
My Lily (English Cocker Spaniel) is 16 weeks today, she lost her first puppy tooth yesterday, one of the other pups from the same litter have also lost a couple of theirs too!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure about 'tug' and the teeth. I would think that it would be alright. The only thing I know about tug is that the game should always end with you taking the toy and putting it away (ending the game). Really doesn't help you, does it? LOL!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Playing tug to help those little teeth fall out when they are wobbly is fine, you get to keep the little teeth when they come out this way too, cuz they are on the floor afterwards. I like cleaning up the tooth that fell out and keeping as a keep sake...lol...If the teeth have fallen out some other time other than playing tug my pups have tended to swallow them I think, which I guess is harmless, but then I don't get to keep them...lol...

I needed to play tug with Keena when she was teething because her upper canines were taking along time to fall out and her new canines were quite aways through and the baby ones were no where near wobbly yet so I had to help them along or else she may have needed them pulled. I think it is common for the baby canines to still be in (especially the upper ones) when the new ones are already growing, with my dogs the upper canines have been the last to go, but Keena's were clinging on along time and I was getting a bit worried.

Now when the new adult teeth start to come in, I still think it is fine playing tug...BUT do go gentle because I think if you played to much and to hard it can missalign the new teeth causing problems when they are done growing.

I tend to let the puppy do all the pulling and I just hold the toy, that way the pup only pulls as much as is comfortable for him and it doesn't do any damage...you probably get some idiots who pull there puppy all along the floor with it hanging on being drug around in which case then tug would be a very bad idea.

Controlled and in moderation shouldn't do any harm.
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-04-2005, 05:59 PM
here are his teeth about 1week ago they seem to be growing alot now

Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Looks like a complete set of adult teeth to me, but still growing Our five month old Cockers have most of their second teeth now, apart from their canines but they still have some growing to do
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-04-2005, 03:00 PM
We never did find any of Jake's baby teeth. They just fell out and got replaced by a fine set of adult teeth. He's just over 7 months now and his teeth look pretty much like they'll stay. (Hopefully! Note to self, clean 'em more!)
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Out of curiousity, how long does it take for the teeth to fully grow in (or does that really depend on breed)?

Hopefully this isn't too off topic

Aileen x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >