Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
siouxb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2008, 03:01 PM

Jealous dog - what can I do

Barney is male, 2 and a half, black lab/GSD cross. He is well trained and I have always been happy to let him off the lead as he always comes when called, and is happy around children and other dogs - as long as they leave his stick or ball alone

Recently he has become very protective of me in particular, and he has started attacking other dogs for no apparent reason. The only thing I can put it down to is jealousy as I may have in the past, patted these other dogs, or stopped and spoken to the owners. He is also protective of me at home, physically putting himself between me and other family members.

The problem seems to be escalating, and I wondered if any of you had any advice re training techniques to stop him doing this, without loosing the protective feeling he has for me - just in case he ever does need to protect me. I am the only female in the house.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Sue, sorry your having problems with Barney.

I'm sure others will come along with advice and suggestions.

I had this with my two boys about 6 months ago ( maybe a little longer ) It's called ( I was told ) teenage years and they were trying to push the boundaries.

The only way they learnt was to go back on a lead when out.

Indoors I had to distance myself ( as I am here all day everyday with them ) so we started having time out. i.e not coming everywhere with me, so i would close doors behind me.

He sees it as his role, but you imo have to let him know what is and is not acceptable.

Good luck, you will get past this stage x