Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Feeding Chicken Carcass

Basically im getting my first order through from Raw dog feeders tomorrow and getting my first carcasses in Ive not had the time recently to bag up meat so thought getting it delivered would be simpler for me at the moment.

Anyways I have never feed carcasses before and just looking to see if there is anything I should be aware of, careful of, do I need to prepare them at all, should they be gutted does it matter?

Lots of questions lol but Im a bit lost on them to be honest!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also Muffy hasnt eaten raw in over a week because she had a vestibular episode, shes starting to get her appetite back do people think I should let her get stuck right back into the raw or build her up again?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Carcasses come gutted don't they?

Chicken should be fine to get her stuck back onto it, it's bland afterall so it shouldn't upset her tummy.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Anyways I have never feed carcasses before and just looking to see if there is anything I should be aware of, careful of, do I need to prepare them at all, should they be gutted does it matter?

No preparation needed, a carcase is what it says on the tin, what is left after you have taken out the giblets and meat off it, you just chuck them at the dog and let em eat!

Lots of questions lol but Im a bit lost on them to be honest!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also Muffy hasnt eaten raw in over a week because she had a vestibular episode, shes starting to get her appetite back do people think I should let her get stuck right back into the raw or build her up again?

Go for it, I do not expect her health to be adversely affected by feeding raw.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Carcasses come gutted don't they?
I wasnt sure, Ive never had them before and wont get them until tomorrow
Chicken should be fine to get her stuck back onto it, it's bland afterall so it shouldn't upset her tummy.
Thanks
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Go for it, I do not expect her health to be adversely affected by feeding raw.
Brill thanks
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm an actual idiot - I get chicken carcasses regularly so I know what they are - it's been one of those days
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 11:00 PM
I have had chicken carcasses from Raw Dog Feeders, and they are just carcasses Don't need to do anything to them... the only thing is they come all frozen together... can be a big pain to separate them all
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2011, 10:37 PM
The girls had their first carcasses tonight. Totts loves them! Amber is overly protective of them and just nibbled away but ate the entire thing. Spent more time protecting it from Muffin who wasnt remotely interested in hers than eating the bloody thing. Muffin had a chew and ate maybe half of one before she left it. My mum said something about not being able to refreeze chicken so I threw the remaining out but I wasnt sure if that applied to meat for dogs?

Still felt very odd watching them eat all those bones even though i feed chicken wings and odds and sods from asda frozen :s
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
The girls had their first carcasses tonight. Totts loves them! Amber is overly protective of them and just nibbled away but ate the entire thing. Spent more time protecting it from Muffin who wasnt remotely interested in hers than eating the bloody thing. Muffin had a chew and ate maybe half of one before she left it. My mum said something about not being able to refreeze chicken so I threw the remaining out but I wasnt sure if that applied to meat for dogs?

Still felt very odd watching them eat all those bones even though i feed chicken wings and odds and sods from asda frozen :s
Aw, that is great

I'm not sure about the refreezing chicken... I never usually need to refreeze fully defrosted chicken, although when I get a bag of carcasses or wings, I need to let them part defrost before I can separate them all... and then freeze them, and it has always been alright. I do refreeze other things though, like lambs legs, pig heads etc... so, have always thought chicken would just be the same.

I'm on a raw feeding forum, and people on there regularly refreeze things many times and I am sure they do it with chicken too.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-11-2011, 05:43 AM
is there any truth to 'never give a dog chicken bones'?

i do but didn't know
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
is there any truth to 'never give a dog chicken bones'?

i do but didn't know
Cooked chicken bones [or any bones] are a no-no. Raw chicken bones are fine.

Regarding chicken carcasses, I get them fresh, put each one in a small polybag and tuck the ends of the bag into the cavity, open freeze then put the individually frozen carcasses into a thick polybag into one of the freezer drawers. I have given them frozen to Pereg but usually take one out to defrost when needed.

The ones I get have a lot of meat on them and I take some to cook for myself. Putting three or four into a slow cooker will give me enough chicken meat for two or three meals, plus a lot of very rich stock. Obviously once cooked and the meat stripped the bones are then discarded.

I do the same with chicken wings and turkey necks. Pereg has them raw and I cook some for myself.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >