Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I'm imagining being followed around by a private detective in a trench coat and dark glasses, with a radio link up back to the breeder 'It's ok, she's putting chicken wings in the trolley, but wait a minute, is that a box of Bakers complete going in there too?.......'

That is HILARIOUS

Can just picture it
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
STEP AWAY FROM THE PET FOOD AISLE!

echoes across the supermarket from the tannoy linked to the "eye in the sky" cameras above.....................

Ha ha!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Anyone who feeds a commercial diet wouldn't IMHO bean excellent home anyway.
How fortunate the rest of us " mere mortals" have been able to find breeders who do not share your opinion!

(So all you pet owners who feed commercial foods, KNOW YOUR PLACE).

You can never hope to offer an "excellent home" to a dog (according to at least one person on the planet anyhow).

It is indeed fortunate for us, that the vast majority of breeders, rescue homes etc do not share this opinion.!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
My puppies would not be suitable for "pet"homes so anyone who wanted a"pet"& to feed it commercial food wouldn't be considered in the first place.

Anyone who feeds a commercial diet wouldn't IMHO bean excellent home anyway.

A friend who has Beardies & occasionally breeds the odd litter, will not sell to non raw feeders & she has no problems finding "excellent"homes with like minded owners.
Surely your own dogs are "pets", so if you never sold one to a "pet" home (given that most competition dogs, etc, are pets first and foremost), where on earth do they go?

Saying that anyone who feeds commercial dog foods (which I would imagine is the overwhelming majority of dog owners) could not be an "excellent" home is an ever so slight generalization, dont you think?

Thank goodness not all breeders are so elitist!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
STEP AWAY FROM THE PET FOOD AISLE!

echoes across the supermarket from the tannoy linked to the "eye in the sky" cameras above.....................
Stop it now, if the breeder in question is looking on here we'll give them ideas how to keep tabs on us

One more suggestion though would be someone on the inside of Nectar and clubcards etc who can sell details of exactly what we are buying to breeders
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
But it goes to a deeper issue which is: who actually owns the dog?

I support raw feeding. But for argument's sake: if I go to a breeder and purchase a dog, then from the moment I take that dog home, he is mine.

Breeders who insist on a specific eating regime are a bit like someone selling a house, and insisting that the new owners don't alter the decor!

Yes, of course it's different as dogs are living creatures but no ONE way of feeding suits ALL dogs and for any breeder to try and dictate what a new owner does AFTER they take the dog home, is IMHO, absurd.
I personally don’t agree with that. Yes, once you buy a dog it is yours, but the breeder is the person who brought the dog into the world, and IMO a decent breeder will want to know what is happening to that dog for the rest of its life. IMO, it shouldn’t be the case that once money has exchanged hands, the breeder has no interest in the dogs. If someone chooses to bring a dog into the world, then they should want the very best for that dog for the rest of the dogs life. If they think a certain type or way to feed is the best, then why shouldn’t they want that to be how that dog is fed?

Like you said a dog and house are different in terms of one is living and once is not. But what about all the laws there are of what we cannot do? People may own a house, but there are still plenty things they cannot do inside it. Some people may argue that they should be able to do whatever they want in their house, and maybe so, but there are still laws that decide such things (I know there are no laws on what exact type of food to feed your dog but just trying to make a point). Also, yeah people can decorate a house they own however they like, but if you want to add extensions or whatever to your house, you need to get planning permission etc. Food is IMO a vital part of a dogs life, so the equivalent to building an extension The point I am trying to make is that there are rules and regulations in most aspects of life, and while you may own something it doesn’t mean you are necessarily free to do whatever you want with it.

I still also think it is important to remember that if you dislike what a breeder says or wants you to do, then just find a different breeder.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I personally don’t agree with that. Yes, once you buy a dog it is yours, but the breeder is the person who brought the dog into the world, and IMO a decent breeder will want to know what is happening to that dog for the rest of its life. IMO, it shouldn’t be the case that once money has exchanged hands, the breeder has no interest in the dogs. If someone chooses to bring a dog into the world, then they should want the very best for that dog for the rest of the dogs life. If they think a certain type or way to feed is the best, then why shouldn’t they want that to be how that dog is fed?

Like you said a dog and house are different in terms of one is living and once is not. But what about all the laws there are of what we cannot do? People may own a house, but there are still plenty things they cannot do inside it. Some people may argue that they should be able to do whatever they want in their house, and maybe so, but there are still laws that decide such things (I know there are no laws on what exact type of food to feed your dog but just trying to make a point). Also, yeah people can decorate a house they own however they like, but if you want to add extensions or whatever to your house, you need to get planning permission etc. Food is IMO a vital part of a dogs life, so the equivalent to building an extension The point I am trying to make is that there are rules and regulations in most aspects of life, and while you may own something it doesn’t mean you are necessarily free to do whatever you want with it.

I still also think it is important to remember that if you dislike what a breeder says or wants you to do, then just find a different breeder.
Because feeding is SUBJECTIVE and what someone thinks is 'best' is based on pure OPINION and not fact. What they think in no way reflects what I think, so why should I be dictacted to based on something that is strictly opinion and not fact?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't think it's different to any other unenforcable stipulation put in place by breeders in their puppy contracts. I'd probably be very happy with such a stipulation as I do feel raw feeding is a better way to feed so the breeder to me would tick a very big box.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Surely your own dogs are "pets", so if you never sold one to a "pet" home (given that most competition dogs, etc, are pets first and foremost), where on earth do they go?

Saying that anyone who feeds commercial dog foods (which I would imagine is the overwhelming majority of dog owners) could not be an "excellent" home is an ever so slight generalization, don't you think?

Thank goodness not all breeders are so elitist!
My dogs are my pets, but they are all trained & need regular work, they would not be suitable to live in a purely "pet"home. Even my GSDs would not make good "pets"as they were way to high work orientated to be able to live a quality life with a walk as their only entertainment.

I'm not elitist, but I do not want any dog I breed to end up in a rescue, being rehomed or PTS because he/she is owned by someone who is not able to give him/her enough mental exercise/training/work & only wants a dog to walk, play with & have lay around the rest of the time
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Because feeding is SUBJECTIVE and what someone thinks is 'best' is based on pure OPINION and not fact. What they think in no way reflects what I think, so why should I be dictated to based on something that is strictly opinion and not fact?
The facts are that commercial foods contain Carcinogens(read the ingredients on any bag of dog food-there are so many chemicals that are known Carcinogens included-it isn't just OPINION)

As you are so anti this"restriction"your course of action is simple-don't buy such a puppy-QED
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >