View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Do we really need to be blunt and to the point when posting?
I don't see a problem in getting straight to the point provided it is not rude. Rather than waffle on for paragraphs, sometimes it is easier to say what needs to be said in a few lines rather than writing a whole essay.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Another thread has just gone downhill i see...

Well, to get back on topic, i think it was a great idea said earlier about letting Brinley meet the jogger! That might just let him feel a bit more comfortable about the man running past him

My dogs are all very obedient, but the labs are gundogs and if they get the scent of something, or see something in the distance i couldnt say 100% that they would come back to me everytime i call. So, if i am somewhere with lots of people/kids/cyclists they do all stay on their leads until we're somewhere away from people. I just find life easier that way. There are so many people quick to call dogs "dangerous" if they run up to them or bark, better safe than sorry for me!

But, its your dog and only you really know him so you do what you think is best, take some advice and leave the rest. Thats what a forum is about
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I didn't reply to the OP, when I first saw the post, because it would have gone like this:

Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
This morning my partner took Brinley and Betty to the park as usual, and Brinley took off and run towards a jogger and barked and jumped up at him, the jogger shouted something , my partner is hard of hearing and didn't catch what was said the guy was also waving his arms about , Brinley stopped jumping at him but was still barking, my partner was calling him back all the time and he did go back, he never does anything like this when I'm with him,but I take the ball to the park and he loves chasing it, his recall is usually very good as well, we don't let him chase the ball all the time because he has problems with his shoulder and if he overdoes it he starts limping, so he only gets to play with the ball once a day.My partner has seen this jogger before, and Brinley just doesn't seem to like him, usually he doesn't go near him though, we don't want any trouble with this guy, so I'm looking for advice please.My partner intends to work on the stop command, and I will too, but any other ideas are welcome,thanks.
Put Brin on a lead in those places...

-----

That would have been in reply to the last bit: "but any other ideas are welcome,thanks."

English is my second language and I can't 'woffle'.. That's why I don't reply to a lot of posts, because I often come across as rude (straight to the point - my definition).
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I am not surprised at all and feel it is a consequence of a few the negative comments being made across the site by a tiny minority of members. I suggest anyone who sees this kind of thing happening and feels concerned about it reports the threads involved using the report post button .

I would say there has been some excellent advice given in this thread and thank those who have taken the time to post at length Of course not everyone may choose to accept your advise but it may be of help to some readers .
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Report people for being sensitive to some judgmental/critical posts. I've heard it all now
Perhaps I'm being dim but I read this as advice to report negativity.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Perhaps I'm being dim but I read this as advice to report negativity.
It's all a case of what you consider "negativity"
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I've got a BSd who loves to chase and I've taught her a predictive recall which involves the use of her kong on a rope. I've successfully recalled her away from running deer etc using this method; however, I have put a load of work into the training as living where I do it was a huge priority.

The OPs may find this site of some help The trainer/behaviourist is an ex police dog instructor as well as being a reward based trainer. There are many useful and interesting articles on the site:

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...g-chasing.html

I suspect the problem may be due to concern over this particular jogger than actually a chasing problem in which case probably the dog needs to be helped to change his conditioned emotional reaction, this can be done via desensitising method I'd think.

Probably best to combine d/s with chase recall ....

Wys
x
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I did say I wouldn't post again, but out of politeness, many thanks for the positive kindly put advice given in some posts and be assured we will do everything possible to correct this behaviour, including using a lead when necessary as we have already said, I don't want to say anymore as this thread is getting out of hand. We were genuinely looking for help as we were both very concerned by what had happened.Thanks again.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't see a problem in getting straight to the point provided it is not rude. Rather than waffle on for paragraphs, sometimes it is easier to say what needs to be said in a few lines rather than writing a whole essay.
I suffer from that!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I think joggers, cyclists and other park users need to be educated in how to deal with such a situation the same way as dogs need to be taught how to cope. However, nothing in life is perfect and these things will happen as dogs do possess their own minds and there will be situations when something like this happens and ALL parties need to be aware of how to deal with it.
Becky
I think this is a very good point.

It does irritate me however when in the park (I mean Jess doesn't react to joggers, but I know some dogs do) and a jogger just appears behind. It makes me jump, so must make the dogs jump. IMO joggers should "indicate" their presence somehow if approaching dogs(and people to that matter lol), just so it isn't as much of a surprise (which is what makes the dog react more-so).
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I think this is a very good point.

It does irritate me however when in the park (I mean Jess doesn't react to joggers, but I know some dogs do) and a jogger just appears behind. It makes me jump, so must make the dogs jump. IMO joggers should "indicate" their presence somehow if approaching dogs(and people to that matter lol), just so it isn't as much of a surprise (which is what makes the dog react more-so).
i feel that is only right and fair as well
Page 8 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 >