Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I remember a while ago being told of a young girl who was attacked by her relative neopolitan(sp) mastiff, apparentlly the dog had attacked her by latching onto her very long platted hair...and i remember hearing the owners saying how they found it a coinicidence that for a few weeks before they had been playing rag games with a long platted rope toy..and then the dog attacks this child who was skipping down the path, hair swinging.
So no Shona, I wouldnt think you were being stupid/mean.
OMG never thought of that one!!! just running off to collect the various rope toys in the garden
the poor girl
thanks luke
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by LongDogLady View Post
Hello there - at one of our first dog training classes the trainer was quite insistent that we do not buy 'squeaky' type toys for our dogs, especially as we have children. His reasoning was that the noise made by these toys is similar to the noises made by young children and may confuse the dogs as to what squeaky things it is OK to chew on

Needless to say our dogs toys are of the non squeaky type - just in case.
I must say i've never thought of that myself ,but haveing read your post i think its possible,certainly something to consider when buying toys in the future.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Must admit I had never, ever thought of this, but what a brilliant mind you've got to have thought of it, makes sense doesn't it? I must admit, none of my dogs has ever been interested in any sort of toys, only their rubber balls, even though I've bought loads and loads and tried to get them to play with them, they're all taken down the rescue centre after Christmas unused. I think you might have something here, it stands to reason doesn't it, especially with what Luke wrote in his post?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 02:01 PM
I think I'd rather have an outlet for my dog (which I can control) than risk that one day the innate hard wired behaviour will arise and be totally out of my control, although from my point of view I'm talking about chasing and toys to chase after (eg kongs/balls on ropes) rather than squeaky toys.

I understand the view behind the debate and think it's a valid point

Re tuggie, my dog plays tuggie and sometimes I allow her to win, sometimes she pulls hard and does win but ultimately she always does as i ask with the tuggie as with other toys.It's easy if the dog is trained in Leave, give, fetch, bring, or whatever commands are suitable. I believe if a dog is well trained then playing is under control, so have always done my level best to instill good manners whilst playing

I know of a BC who had a huge number of squeaky toys, he lived for them and "herded" them
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2006, 02:49 PM
My dogs are taught to ignore people and therefore would take no notice of screaming kids or flying plaits. If a kid screams they look in that direction to see whats going on, but certainly would not approach.
As for tuggies I agree with wysiwyg teach manners at all times during play, teach them to give, leave, bring it here, pick it up. I allow mine to win sometimes, they bring it straight back to play again. However they only play these games with me and the OH. If a stranger waved a tuggy in their face they would look to me first and if told to leave they would do so.
Squeaky toys don't generally last long but they are certainly allowed to play with them, they love tormenting each other with them. If my 2year old grand daughter had the squeaky ball they would not attempt to take it off her, as soon as she appears they stop what they are doing and settle down.
So again, we come down to training, boundaries and limitations. Dogs need rules and personally I think a dog that has never been allowed to play with squeaky toys and tuggys will probably show more interest in them than a dog that has been taught to play in a controlled manner, and a dog that has never been taught to leave the squeaky toy on demand will be harder to part from something that squeaks than a dog that has been trained to do so.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
The only problem with tugging it that you have to win the game every time. As long as you do that, its a great game. I find it particularly interesting that Roxy makes growling noises when she plays tug with the kids, but doesn't make a peep when playing with us?
Part of the argument in favour of tug is that it isn't a win/lose thing, but replicates the behaviour of the wild-dog pack "dismantling" their prey, so is actually a co-operative game. Sometimes I let Bongo have the toy, then start off a game of chase with the cue: "Iiiii'm gonna getchooo!" It's brilliant fun, and you should see her tail shoot up when she hears those words
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3