Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I've just got back from walking Vegas and just gotta post something which may amuse you!

Up on the fields,i was chatting to a couple i occasionally see with their labs and said about Vegas having an eye infection.Their yellow lab 'Finlay' had an eye infection too recently and their vet prescibed.................Brolene.

Small world huh!
Hi Steve Brolene is fine for minor eye problems (if the dog proves to have a minor eye problem ) but I would want to know first that was all it was and only a vet can decide this . It seems the people with the Lab did get the eyes checked by the vet to make sure it was nothing more serious like a bacterial infection ,very sensible of them .
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Steve Brolene is fine for minor eye problems (if the dog proves to have a minor eye problem ) but I would want to know first that was all it was and only a vet can decide this . It seems the people with the Lab did get the eyes checked by the vet to make sure it was nothing more serious like a bacterial infection ,very sensible of them .
Are you implying Mini that im not 'sensible' because i asked a phamacist for advice and not a vet..?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Are you implying Mini that im not 'sensible' because i asked a phamacist for advice and not a vet..?
Not at all Steve I am aware you have had a previous problem with Vagas and conjunctivitis, and that conjunctivitis can be a symptom of something more serious like a tear duct problem or entropian which can be extremely painful (imagine having something constantly rubbing your eye ball) and having had dogs with both conditions I would always get eyes checked out by the vet
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Not at all Steve I am aware you have had a previous problem with Vagas and conjunctivitis, and that conjunctivitis can be a symptom of something more serious like a tear duct problem or entropian which can be extremely painful (imagine having something constantly rubbing your eye ball) and having had dogs with both conditions I would always get eyes checked out by the vet
His previous problem several weeks ago Mini was similar,but only in one eye and no way as bad.After bathing his eye in saline for a day-it cleared up so put it down to him poking his eye on a stick while out.

I woke up yesterday morning and found both his eyes gunky,but my vet is always fully booked on saturdays so knew it was useless to even try.If i could have gotten him in,i would have Mini-his needs always come before mine. Also,Pharmacists are more than qualified to give advice on human medical matters and animals are really not that much different.The majority of veterinary drugs are tested on animals for use by humans and then passed down the ladder to be used on animals.The eye treatment i bought for £4.99 from the chemist cost that couple £20 from their vet so all i did was bypass the middleman.

It just seems Mini that you are questioning my integrity-i will always do what i think is right for my pets and if thats not enough-i dont know what is.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Is Vegas any better tonight Steve? Give him a good stroke from Ossie and me, mate would you?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Stamford
Is Vegas any better tonight Steve? Give him a good stroke from Ossie and me, mate would you?
His eyes this morning hadnt improved much Stamford so rang the vet to get an appointment,but were fully booked today.Managed to get him in tommorrow though at 5.10pm so will see what the vet says.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Ok, i hope it goes alright Steve.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Right-the lowdown on Vegas's eyes!

The vet tested his tear ducts which were fine and also put dye in to check there wasnt any damage to the corneas-there wasnt! Vet reconed its just a simple infection so gave me some cream to put in his eyes twice a day.

Have to add though-the stuff he gave me looks awfully similar to what i got from the chemist,but wont know how much it is until next monday when i gotta take him back for checkup.It clearly isnt a dedicated veterinary drug by the blurb on tube and leaflet inside box...

Vegas's eyes this morning though had improved from last night so perhaps the stuff i got from chemist was doing the trick!
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Its great that you are seeing some improvement in Vegas's eyes Steve,Also very glad to hear that its nothing more serious.
Get well soon Vegas.
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-07-2008, 04:54 PM
i have used Optrex Infected Eyes on my dogs a couple of times.

It worked a treat.

I agree with Steve. Vets charge far too much for medicines available elsewhere much cheaper, add to that the consultation fee and its an astronomical mark up.

Steve - you are also right about the use of antibiotics by vets. Just about every conceivable symptom seems to need an antibiotic injection "just in case!". i suspect they may be more liberal with them on dogs as their life expectancies are much lower than ours so have less time to become immune to them.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >