View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2006, 01:49 PM

Conjuntivitis-anything i can buy to help him?

Vegas's eye problem has flared up again,but this time in both and the eye bogeys are a yellowy colour.

I know you can buy stuff from chemists for us humans to cure it,but can remember what its called.I know that most animal drugs are designed for humans and simply passed over eventually to our canine friends etc so think this might be my best option other than waiting until monday for vets appointment.

Anyone know of any drugs which i could use???
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi Steve, I would get to the Vets asap and would never try to treat conjunctivitis myself because there is always the risk it will spread to both eyes. (I appreciate it already has )

For the moment I would bathe with saline (you can buy saline eye wash at the chemist or make your own) using separate pieces of cotton wool for each eye each time you wipe
Added

(Incidentally I have found over the counter preparations to be useless for human conjunctivitis, a doctor prescription being the best option)
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2006, 03:16 PM
I asked at the chemist round the corner Mini and they recomended 'Brolene' so have just tried it.I appreciate what your saying about the vet,but they dont open until monday and its not excally an emergency case lol.If it clears up before monday-fine,but if not i'll make an appointment with vet.

I've been cleaning his eyes with saline all morning with no improvement so wanted to try something else.
buster1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-03-2006, 03:24 PM
ta bags, i heard tea bags work, although im not sure.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I asked at the chemist round the corner Mini and they recomended 'Brolene' so have just tried it.I appreciate what your saying about the vet,but they dont open until monday and its not excally an emergency case lol.If it clears up before monday-fine,but if not i'll make an appointment with vet.

I've been cleaning his eyes with saline all morning with no improvement so wanted to try something else.
Steve The saline isn't intended to make the condition better if it is a bacterial infection, it is merely being used as a 'safe option' to clean the eyes until you can get to the vet.
The correct cream/drops are required to clear up the condition if it turns out to bacterial, I don't mess around with eyes better to let the vet decide.
For eye wash the saline solution is recommended as 1 part seasalt to 4 parts boiled water )
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2006, 03:47 PM
i wouldn't mess around where eyes are concerned either but the drops you first mentioned may have been optrex with chloramphenicol which is for the treatment of human conjunctivitis. boots also do their own version which is virtually the same i believe.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Steve The saline isn't intended to make the condition better if it is a bacterial infection, it is merely being used as a 'safe option' to clean the eyes until you can get to the vet.
The correct cream/drops are required to clear up the condition if it turns out to bacterial, I don't mess around with eyes better to let the vet decide.
For eye wash the saline solution is recommended as 1 part seasalt to 4 parts boiled water )
The reason i always try my local chemist Mini is because one of the nurses at my vet told me 99% of veterinary drugs are developed for humans,but vets charge 3-5 times as much for same product.The people at the chemist always helped me with the various problems i had with Abe and they decided this 'Brolene' is the safest option to use on an animal.Its not just a matter of money Mini-the chemist is open on a saturday afternoon and dont need an appointment to go in!

Vegas's eyes at this very moment dont look as bad so perhaps this stuff the chemists gave me is doing some good!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 04:09 PM
brolene is quite harsh ..its for eye infections caused by contact lenses ...it stings when applied

also grated cucumber ( which turns to mush ) is cooling when applied
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
The reason i always try my local chemist Mini is because one of the nurses at my vet told me 99% of veterinary drugs are developed for humans,but vets charge 3-5 times as much for same product.The people at the chemist always helped me with the various problems i had with Abe and they decided this 'Brolene' is the safest option to use on an animal.Its not just a matter of money Mini-the chemist is open on a saturday afternoon and dont need an appointment to go in!

Vegas's eyes at this very moment dont look as bad so perhaps this stuff the chemists gave me is doing some good!

Yes I know what you mean Steve - its not the medicines that cost the earth at the vets its the consultation that you have to pay which is really frustrating when you know the cause already isn't it When the guinea pigs got hay mite, it cost us a fortune to get 3 of them injected and we had to go back 4 times. The injections only cost £1.80 each but the consultation fee was £10 a time.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Yes I know what you mean Steve - its not the medicines that cost the earth at the vets its the consultation that you have to pay which is really frustrating when you know the cause already isn't it When the guinea pigs got hay mite, it cost us a fortune to get 3 of them injected and we had to go back 4 times. The injections only cost £1.80 each but the consultation fee was £10 a time.
Although im in a position Foxy where i can afford vet fees-i still cannot justify many of their prices for simple drugs/treatments which are available off the shelf at chemists.If this works-the treatment has cost me £4.99 and more important-Vegas will be cured.
Vets would have charged me £19 consultation plus possibly £20 for eye drops and another £10 for 1/2 consultation for checkup afterwards.

Im not being a skinflint-just a realist and not wanting to line someone elses pocket for no good reason!

With regards to what treatment they recomended-At the end of the day,if you cant trust the opinion of your pharmacist-who can you..?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >