Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chris141051
New Member!
Female 

24-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Best food for epileptic dog

I have a 6 year old standard schnauzer who has started having seizures about one a month. Can anyone suggest the best diet as I have read that it can help.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I use fish for dogs (or equivilant). I think it can be colouroing/preservative linked.

Rosemary is to be avoided and is in several foods.

Good luck

rune
Bessy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Rosemary is fine as long as it is decamphored.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2012, 05:37 AM
http://www.dorwest.com/Top/Common-Problems/E/Epilepsy
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/herbsforpets.html
(see above link and page re Rosemary and dogs with epilepsy)

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...m/site_map.htm
(info on nutrition)

http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/owne..._spec_help.htm

http://www.pcfce.org/

Not sure if you are aware of these resources but if not, they may be of help
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2012, 05:42 AM
When my dog became epileptic, I contacted the Arden Grange nutritionist and this is what she sent me. My dogs were already fed AG anyway but I just wanted to know which variety would be best.

Nutritional Management of Epilepsy
Ness Bird RVN Sept 2008
Arden Grange, Leander International Pet Foods Ltd

There is a possible connection between grain ingredients and seizures. This is because grains have a high phytate content which impairs mineral absorption. This is relevant as magnesium, zinc and calcium deficiency are linked to seizures. The chief grains to avoid are those with a high gluten content; ie wheat, oats and rye. Gluten stimulates opiod receptors in the brain making them more susceptible to seizures. All of the Arden Grange recipes are free from wheat, oats and rye.

Omega 3 fatty acids can help to maintain the structure and function of the cellular and sub-cellular membranes as well as support normal growth, especially of blood vessels and nerves. A fish body oil (as opposed to cod liver oil which is often too high in vitamin A) supplement may be a beneficial addition to an epileptic dog’s diet (unless fed the Arden Grange Salmon or Sensitive as these contain 3 and 4 x the levels in the other recipes respectively). Evening Primrose (also called borage) oil must not be used however since this contains gamma linoleic acid which is thought to stimulate the production of a hormone-like compound called prostaglandin. Prostaglandin can lower a dog’s epileptic seizure threshold meaning that a fit is more likely. There are many cases of this reported in epileptic humans taking EPO. Alpha linoleic acid, as found in linseed, also known as flax (present in the Arden Grange recipes) is fine however.

The Arden Grange Performance may be suitable for epileptic dogs since it contain a number of nutrients that are beneficial. A higher level of taurine is included and this plays a critical role in the function of the nervous system. Taurine deficiency is widely recognized as a cause of seizures in people, cats and dogs. In additional to its specific benefits to the brain, it also affects blood sugar levels (implicated in seizures) and assists in the body’s proper use of minerals (especially magnesium, zinc and copper). Grape seed extract is also included and this has been recognised as one of the most powerful antioxidants. It contains natural free radical scavengers and boiflavenoid complexes that are rapidly absorbed and distributed throughout the body. It has also been shown to promote healthy cholesterol levels and a healthy cardio-vascular system. Plasma carnitine levels are decreased in many people with epilepsy and therefore L-Carnitine supplementation in dogs may be helpful too. This is also included in the Performance recipe.

I hope you find something that suits your dog.