Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
The Morrisons down South must be better than the ones up North cos my local one is rubbish when it comes to raw offal etc.
Down South?? Never considered myself a Southerner although I must be to you. I do say "grass" though and not "graaaaaaaas"!! I've found some Morrisons are far better than others. My local one has cheap bones for sale only rarely, but others farther out sell loads and pigs trotters too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Down South?? Never considered myself a Southerner although I must be to you. I do say "grass" though and not "graaaaaaaas"!! I've found some Morrisons are far better than others. My local one has cheap bones for sale only rarely, but others farther out sell loads and pigs trotters too.

What most people often overlook is that the catalogue of stores varies by size and area.

So small stores will not carry the full range of products that a larger one will and eg some products are not suitable or popular for some areas.

So it is not an issue of some branches being "better" than others, their range reflects the desires of their local shoppers!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Ah yes the grass test, always the best way to spot a Southener!

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What most people often overlook is that the catalogue of stores varies by size and area.

So small stores will not carry the full range of products that a larger one will and eg some products are not suitable or popular for some areas.

So it is not an issue of some branches being "better" than others, their range reflects the desires of their local shoppers!
And yet my local Morrisons is a large one sited out of town on a retail park, but their range of offal and bones remains poor!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Ah yes the grass test, always the best way to spot a Southener!

And yet my local Morrisons is a large one sited out of town on a retail park, but their range of offal and bones remains poor!

Which is exactly what I meant, if there is not a local MARKET for bones and offal they will not sell it!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Which is exactly what I meant, if there is not a local MARKET for bones and offal they will not sell it!
But being a large store one would think it would sell a larger amount of items regardless. You can get bones and offal from my local Morrisons (so they obviously do stock them) but it's quite a rarity that you can actually get hold of any.

I once asked one of the butchers there for some bones for my dogs and his reply was that I shouldn't be giving raw bones to my dogs as it was dangerous.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 06:58 PM
But being a large store one would think it would sell a larger amount of items regardless. You can get bones and offal from my local Morrisons (so they obviously do stock them) but it's quite a rarity that you can actually get hold of any.

I once asked one of the butchers there for some bones for my dogs and his reply was that I shouldn't be giving raw bones to my dogs as it was dangerous.

Ok, an example.

If I want to find halal meat I would find it difficult where I live, however when I am in Leicester, for example, there are fridges full of the stuff.

Shops do not carry stuff that does not sell, as it is not profitable!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 04:53 PM

I know this as I was a Manager in a supermarket
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I know this as I was a Manager in a supermarket
You know what I am talking about then!

There are often quite startling regional variations; not always immediately visible unless you travel a lot or, as said, you have dealings with stock holding of food retailers!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Ok, an example.

If I want to find halal meat I would find it difficult where I live, however when I am in Leicester, for example, there are fridges full of the stuff.

Shops do not carry stuff that does not sell, as it is not profitable!
Thanks for the explanation. Having worked for many years in the retail sector I'm well aware of selling produce to make a profit.

I would personally think that there's more of a demand for bones and offal in North East stores than anywhere else as the majority of the older generation were raised on this "cheap" sort of product, as opposed to those in the South.

There is clearly a demand as when when the products are put out they quickly get snapped up. If I go to the supermarket in the morning there's a small chance I can pick some up, any time later than late morning and there's no chance, it's all gone.

So I don't think on this occasion it's supply and demand, they just don't seem to stock vast amounts even though it sells well.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Not had an ox heart yet but, have fed pig and lamb heart to my dog. She loves it.
Breat of lamb bones is dirt cheap and she has that to.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3