Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 06:27 PM

You want me to eat WHAT?!

Feeling guilty about a recent thread that asked what offal your dog ate I bought kidneys for the mob. Plopped in bowls.. three uncomprehending faces staring at me in horror.
So I chopped them and browned them in a little butter and they forced them down. Poor souls.
I`m trying liver tomorrow.
Do all dogs balk at unfamiliar foods?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Bad Claire poisoning your poor doggies!

Cain scoffs most thingsstraight down but kidney is his least favourite thing. What animal were they from? He'll choke down pig kidneys but not without dramatics of chew spit repeat several times before swallowing, he doesn't mind lamb kidney but he seemed to love ox kidney (but find that hard to get). He generally doesn't like pig organs. I feed lamb and ox kidney whole but I chop up pig kidney small and mix it in with his mince.

Let us know how the liver goes down. Most dogs seem to like it but I know some people have to part cook that too for the doggies to eat it.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Heehee i have to fry it for mine
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Kidneys can smell quite strong to a dog, often rinsing them in cold water first can help
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2011, 07:01 PM
2 of mine balk at raw kidney but scoff it lightly fried in garlic
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I tend to zap them in the microwave with a little olive oil and this satisfies Kiki's fussiness Casper scoffs them down though, the pig
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Kidneys can smell quite strong to a dog, often rinsing them in cold water first can help
Don't know if this is true (I'm vegetarian) but someone told me that's because kidneys excrete urine so they smell of wee! My husband hasn't wanted to eat steak and kidney pudding since I told him this!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:35 PM

Mine won't touch offal - they walk off in disgust!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Do all dogs balk at unfamiliar foods?
Well ours certainly do Emma Bruno the Italian vet who has written one of the best books on Newfies says that a variable diet is what a dog wants, she asked how we would like to have the same food every day.

But I have to say that introducing new food is not easy with ours, they will turn their noses up at it, and now we tend to give them their favorites most days with the odd day when they have risotto or roast chicken
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Kiara and Poppy looked at it like I was trying to poison them but Bailey didn't even chew his - straight in down full kidney!!!

My old dog wouldn't eat liver or beef heart unless browned - not tried these 3 on it yet but I suspect it'll be the same result as the kidney
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >