Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Vets and raw feeding..

Hi.

When I switched my dogs over to raw feeding, my Boxer Aura was approx 4 months old, When I told my vet I was switching over to raw feeding, he wasnt particulary impressed but didnt try to put me off, but he did caution me to read a lot on the subject and told me I must make sure that my dogs get a balanced diet, He also commented on the fact that we could compare Aura's raw fed diet, with her litter sisters pedigree kibble diet as the 2 grew up because her litter sister is owned by one of the vet nurses at the surgery... Roll on 11 months, Aura was back at the vets today for her booster, Vet says she is in great health and tip top condition, she weigh's in at 25.6 kgs.... compared with her sister who weighs in a 18kgs
The vet said he's really impressed with how she's developing, and the vet nurse who owns her litter sister quizzed me on what I am feeding, and said she's going to maybe switch her over to raw too
When i bit the bullet and switched my dogs over to raw feeding, I was a little bit concerned about how a growing puppy would develop, but I have to say I am VERY impressed
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I feed Jess raw and it is the best thing I have done nutrition wise for her.

She is so much more healthy on raw than when she was on kibble (also much cheaper which is a bonus)
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I feed Jess raw and it is the best thing I have done nutrition wise for her.

She is so much more healthy on raw than when she was on kibble (also much cheaper which is a bonus)
Well my dogs certainly seem healthier on it, my Dobe's teeth are much whiter,and touch wood since switching them over my dobe hasnt had any ear infections either, which he seemed proned too when he was kibble fed. They do seem to enjoy the food an awfull lot more too, I think its because they get such a range of foods, so it doesnt get too boring for them.
I'm not so sure its much cheaper than the kibble though, As a lot of there meats I'll buy from the supermarket, such as turkey drumsticks, chicken portions, racks of ribs etc. I do get things like liver, kidneys, hearts and lambs necks and occasionally he'll chuck in the odd pigs tail/trotter etc for free for me.
I do also get tripe/ tripe/chicken, beef/offal mix from a raw supplier in the area, but my dogs are fussy and at the moment they have gone off the meat mixes.
I did enquire about getting some stuff straight from the abbatoir, but I was told I would need a licence these days to collect from the abbatoir.
Still cost wasnt really an issue with me switching them over, it was the overall health of my dogs that was my main concern
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Still cost wasnt really an issue with me switching them over, it was the overall health of my dogs that was my main concern
Ditto. It has really helped as well
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi,

I agree - definitely mroe healthy for the dogs and cheaper. I used to feed Zane & Ellie on raw all the time but I was going to my main butcher and it cost a fortune (OK so I was buying BIG prices of steak for them too!)

I then changed them to a mixture of raw and kibble depenind on day of the week, their last raw meal etc.
Jen todl me where to go for raw food to get it at decent prices and since then, zane & Ellie have been on raw for their main evening meal, sticking with the sardines and rice for breakfast. Ellie has lost a fair bit of weight too and is less hungry generally (which is handy as she's being spayed at the end of April).
Yiannis is on raw 3 x week and I'l build it up as he gets older. He has a funny tummy with ANY dietary change so I'm taking it slowly with him.

I'd definitely recommend raw. I was never 100% hapy with my dogs mostly on kibble or the standard tinned meat. They're happier on raw, far healthier, have shinier coats etc. In fact, I don't think there are any disadvantages to a raw diet for dogs.

Laura xx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 10:00 PM
That is really great news
and a nice open minded vet!
I seen a big difference in Ben when I switched him and Mia is improving too

But it is cool to have littermates to really see the difference
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
At the end of the day you have to do what you believe is right for your dogs. At least your vet didn't try to put you off. I know some would have.

Well done for making the change and sticking to it.

Laura xx
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Good on your vet- ours are awful like that, they always say 'breeders tell you to feed them funny things like porridge and raw meat but it isn't a balanced diet, the best foods are royal canin purina and hills and the rest are low quality, the first three have eeeeeeeeeverything that they need in them and they clean their teeth too' his jrt pup's teeth aren't that nice... i'd love a vet like yours good to hear shes doing so well on it!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
My vet is supportive of the diets I feed my dogs. Rio is fed on raw meaty bones, muscle meat and fish and Loki on meat and rice (renal diet, less protein). When I took Rio to see the rest of her litter recently, she was the smallest of the bitches and had the longest coat. All the rest are kibble fed and growing faster. Rio's coat quality looks great, she is growing steadily and has the calmest temperament of the three bitches. can't really compare her to the dog pups as they are totally different. I'm very happy with what they are being fed. Estrelas are known to self starve, and Rio is the only one of her litter with a really healthy appetite. She has never missed a meal, whereas all the others can take or leave their dry.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I am contemplating raw feeding but i don't know anything about it at all - is there a website or book anyone could recommend ? I have asked at a few butchers for raw marrowbones (for her teeth) but the only answer i get is that they buy all their meat de-boned as its cheaper ? so where to get it ?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >