Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:35 AM

tails how do you tell?

how do you tell lets say with a boxer that there tail is conforming to standard,if breed standard states it should be docked,?what is the tail ment to look like,what if it was a hairy tail ,really hairy,tail what is it meant to be like,

iv boxers all docked and as be ban isnt here in ireland yet there still going to be docked for a while,but i had a bitch with a tail and she looked like a x lab tail,and boy it hurt if you got it round back of the legs,
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Copied from the Breed Standard on the Kennel Club site:

Customarily docked.
Docked: Set on high and carried upward.
Undocked: Set on high and carried gaily, not curled over back. Of moderate thickness. In overall balance to the rest of dog.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
This might at first glance appear off-topic but its intended to be inline with the original question because breeders there do need to be aware if selling potential Show dogs :smt001

I would hope that while it is not banned in Ireland [ yet ] breeders and buyers should be aware that their future docked dogs will not be able to Show in UK.
It would be a shame if a future potential Champion was never seen in a UK ring because of breeders ignoring the, [ absolutely justified ], ramifications on the other side of the water for their Show lines or for people in UK wanting to buy from them based on lines / quality.

So, hopefully breeders there will be taking note of the relevent Standard, making people aware of it, and the breeders self-regulating in advance of any potential ban by just not docking any more unless they dont mind never being to show or sell this side of the water :smt001
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I thought the only shows you couldn't show them were the ones where the public were paying an entry fee.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:19 PM
That's correct but that means you can't show at most of the top Championship Shows as most of these charge admissions.
Becky
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
That's correct but that means you can't show at most of the top Championship Shows as most of these charge admissions.
Becky
That aint too bad as i will be showing for fun.Cheers for that thought i'd missed the band wagon on docked rotts.Looks like a wee hol to Ireland is in order.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
That aint too bad as i will be showing for fun.Cheers for that thought i'd missed the band wagon on docked rotts.Looks like a wee hol to Ireland is in order.
Dogs docked before the ban came in to effect are allowed to Show as usual

Anyone buying an illegally docked dog since that date has more to worry about that which shows they can enter as they are as liable for prosecution for a criminal offence as those illegally docking...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Dogs docked before the ban came in to effect are allowed to Show as usual

WHOOP WHOOP BUN FIGHT ON THE FORUM,
:smt021 ooooer pass me a big sticky one, :smt044
:smt113 now where's that patch gone?:smt115

Anyone buying an illegally docked dog since that date has more to worry about that which shows they can enter as they are as liable for prosecution for a criminal offence as those illegally docking...

Right I could be wrong but you can still buy a docked dog and show it I think, so long as it comes from a country where docking is not banned, but you cant go to crufts and the like where the public pay entry, I dont think the date the ban took hold here has anything to do with it, it would only be a problem if the dog was uk born,

I cant see them banning dogs from overseas from showing just because docking is banned here,

If I have it wrong please let me know
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
Right I could be wrong but you can still buy a docked dog and show it I think, so long as it comes from a country where docking is not banned, but you cant go to crufts and the like where the public pay entry, I dont think the date the ban took hold here has anything to do with it, it would only be a problem if the dog was uk born,

I cant see them banning dogs from overseas from showing just because docking is banned here,

If I have it wrong please let me know

I thought boobah was refering to a currently owned. [ presumably legally docked ? ] Rottie and my response was in that regard, however, if you would like to look at this thread, post four,

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=63166

nyah nyah
:smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016

I love that we can have a proper goodnatured bunfight Shona
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Erm, how many shows are there that DON'T have paying members of the public in attendance? I've been to small breed club shows, and always had to pay entrance. I think (hope ) you could find your showing-options extremely limited by buying a docked animal.

Perhaps you could get into showing guinea-pigs instead...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >