My IQ is soooo low I didnt even know what I was using until I checked just now

Lucky my high self esteem makes up for my low IQ so I couldnt care less
That has made me laugh
A perfect take on the whole thing
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-08-2011, 02:18 PM
IMHO, Win7 is just the same old Windows on a bit of a diet and locked down to make it appear more stable/secure. I had a conversation with a colleague this morning who preferred XP because it provides a lot more customisation options. Obviously, Microsoft have done away with a lot of user choice to try to 'fix' vulnerabilities that would either lead to security breaches or the good old blue screen of death instability.

Just to demonstrate that I don't bash MS just for the sake of it, here are a few facts for you.
1. Just about every other operating system for PC architecture machines, apart from Windows, (Desktop, laptop or server.) are Unix like or Unix based. They are also all effectively free from malware and have a reputation for stability that varies between outstanding to pretty darn good!
2. Another factor that aids their stability and security is that most users don't have to install software from any source other than the officially supported software repositories. All updates to operating system and applications are applied in one 'batch' and rarely require the system to be rebooted. This greatly reduces the time needed to ensure the system is fully up to date with the latest security patches.
3. Also on the subject of system maintenance, most competing systems do not use filesystems that lead to disk fragmentation. This eliminates the need to 'defrag' and means that your system will stay running as fast as a fresh install for a LOT longer.
4. There are other factors that ensure that non Windows systems retain their just installed speed far longer like the lack of 'the registry' which can cause severe response time issues as it becomes cluttered and corrupted. Obviously, the fact that there is an inherent resistance to malware means there is no need to constantly run an anti virus suite which frees up an appreciable amount of system resources.

That'll do for starters. All of the above is based on both professional and home use over more years than I care to mention. On a corporate ethics level, my beef with MS (And Apple) is that they seem intent on competing in the market by destroying other systems with patent law suits rather than fairly with quality products that the market wants to use.

Lastly, to para-phrase Azz somewhat: Windows is a horrible choice - not only is it the most insecure, but it means you won't get as good an experience on the web as those using the more well engineered systems. Excuse me for wanting something better for you.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2011, 08:50 AM
'Orrible choice or not if we've tried the others and not found them to be better then leave us to make our own decisions.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Windows 7 - now ive got used to it, is ok.
Windows 7 is absolutely perfect, it "thinks" like a woman's logic, it's tuned into us, and I find it the easiest system I've ever had on a puter to find my way around everything, bit like IE!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
leave us to make our own decisions.
Quite! As long as they're informed decisions. You can get some idea what other systems handle like by trying a Live CD, for example. If anyone really wants to make an educated decision on what system they run then you could do worse than to pick up a copy of Linux Format (Or similar) and boot up the cover CD. That's another advantage of a lot of the systems that compete with Windows. You can try them out without paying extortionate license fees!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4