Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
..... some people just don't like change, it's too challenging when you're old!!!
Some of us can only just manage to turn the thing on!

Can't believe that the internet has only been around for 20 years, whatever did we do before?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:08 AM
I use IE---although Tassle put chrome on and I expect I will eventually change.

If Azz likes to think my IQ is 80 thats fine by me----I would question the IQ of anyone who thinks that putting that sort of post on his forum would actually make people change over----without being able to realise that some might find it insulting and others would dig their heels in. Whats more I wouldn't need a survey to back me up----it would be obvious!

rune
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Some of us can only just manage to turn the thing on!
Ahem. When my first computer was built for me, everything brought round, conhookdid, configured, programs downloaded and installed etc...

... I turned to Effie and said...

"How do I switch the thing on?"

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I use IE too and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of me for using it, I have firefox as backup but prefer IE. Today I'm using my sons mac which uses safari with google chrome as back up, safari is crap lately and chrome appears to be pretty much the same as IE. We're not all total idiots just cos our preferences differ from yours.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Well dont know what it makes me

iPhone which i
Mostly use (as now) is Safari

Netbook
It has Vista - downloaded Firefox which i use when there are problems with IE, i actually prefer IE however Firefox is a good backup & its email works

Laptop
Windows 7 - theres no problem with IE on it. Windows 7 is fast, smooth & efficient; after few frustrating weeks, as things are changed around, enjoy using it

As someone else says - who cares, most any of us want to do is browse & get into our forums. If we have problems maybe its the forums that need a overhaul boost

Isnt Azz a IT bod? IT Bods always think they know best in comparison to us happy surfers best to humour them
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-08-2011, 09:23 AM
I suppose this story got given so much credibility because a lot of IT professionals have been saying for a long time that IE in particular and Microsoft products in general are not the best on the 'market'. (To put it kindly...) Bearing in mind that, stereotypically, a lot of IT people don't exactly have overdeveloped empathy skills it's not surprising that the conclusion that there's a correlation between browser use and IQ seemed (Or still seems, even!) to be obvious. So even though it probably wasn't a good way of going about it, I still reckon if even a few people have stopped to think about their computer habits this was overall a useful 'story'.

Having said that, of course freedom of choice is important! This is where Free and Open Source Software wins massively because there is a huge range of choice for pretty much any application you care to mention running on the probably even wider range of choices of variations of operating system. There is a metaphorical world out there compared to overcrowded Microsoft city where you're quite likely to get mugged unless you take quite elaborate security precautions...
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
There is a metaphorical world out there compared to overcrowded Microsoft city where you're quite likely to get mugged unless you take quite elaborate security precautions...
Even when you take elaborate precautions, you can still get mugged!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
wow...way to upset all your users Azz.

I dont use IE, I use Chrome (purely because I like it) but would feel pretty miffed if I used your forum and was an IE user
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
wow...way to upset all your users Azz.

I dont use IE, I use Chrome (purely because I like it) but would feel pretty miffed if I used your forum and was an IE user
You could say the same of any number of news sites including the BBC, The Register and any other news/tech site in your bookmarks over this week who reported this with varying amounts of pure glee!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-08-2011, 09:54 AM
The story as Azz posted it was bogus, nothing but a hoax!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >