View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Anyone PLEASE help me fill in a pdf with Adobe Acrobat? PLEASE!

Hi all,
Yes it's me with a computer related question AGAIN! Right I have the perfect job to apply for so I download the application which is a PDF document and try to fill it in. 1st prob I only have Adobe reader and not full Acrobat.

So Download the 30 day trial of Adobe Pro, then after trying to fill in the form I discover that if I fill it in in Typewriter mode all the Fonts to all my answers are different and I can't seem to find the advanced editing toolbar to get the touch up tool to change fonts (that was what Adobe Help suggested I do)

So I then somehow (nnot quite sure how) goyt it to a bit where it created fields for me to fill in and all the type font is the same BUT the answers start in the middle of the box rather than being alligned to the left. So it look terrible and I just can't get my school qualifications to go in the right column in the box

So please PLEASE PLEASE can someone help me it is my dream job and I want to make a great impression. What I need is either someone who can play about with the font on my answwrs in the PDF and make them all the same or who can set up the other PDF for me soo that when I type in the fields it created my answers start at the left and not central allignment.

I have both PDFs saved and can email them and I can also email or give you the link to the original application form.

Sorry for the long post but it is really important to me, Hoping Dogsey Magic can help out.

Thanks in advance x
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi I can't help with the PDF, but can't you transfer it to Word and fill it in there, and then E-mail it from there, or print it off fill it in manually scan and E-mail. I have only got my phone at the moment so can't fiddle with PDF on my computer to try and work it out for you. But I am sure someone on here can help properly. Gayle.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi Gayle thanks for reply

When I transfer it from PDF to word it changes the way the page is set up eg the columns are out of allignment, in things like list your previous jobs etc, and the logo at the top goes to the middle and not the side and despite trying to play about with page layout I can't get it right thanks for the ideas though
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Lynne, this used to annoy me so much, clearly the firm has not thought through all the problems, they've just assumed that everyone who applies will have the same software (and the same version) as they have.

If it was me I would just print it off, fill it in longhand and send it back with a covering letter saying all the things that the form probably won't have space for, include a photo too as a personal touch and a PS explaining that your computer isn't compatible with what they've sent you

That will either embarass them and you'll at least get an interview, or put their noses out of joint and you'll never hear from them again, which might be a blessing in disguise
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 10:52 AM
LOL thanks H.

I am currently trying to reformat it in a word doc and it is driving me insane!! I spent nearly 10 hours yesterday on this and so far 2 today! Can you tell I want this job!!!

I may have to resort to the longhand version. A gfair amount of the duties will be office based so I really want to try and do the form electronically and I am hoping that most other candidates will be having the same problem as me and I may be 1 of only a few who have had the patience, or stupidity, to play about with it and try and get it right. Of course the other prob is that the open it and it looks like a dogs dinner as their software dosn't read it the same way as mine when it is all redone!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
A fair amount of the duties will be office based so I really want to try and do the form electronically
Yes I understand the logic there L - I wish you luck, I'm sure you'll get an interview at least and most likely others are having similar problems.

If you do talk to them I would suggest you take the high ground, don't apologise that your computer can't display the form correctly, suggest that maybe it's their IT department that is at fault well maybe not until after they've offered you the job 'tho
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Well that is it I have a word version and I have a PDF version and they seem to be printable! That was nearly 10 hours yesterday and 4 hours today to try and get an application form to open with my software then to find software that would convert it to something my PC could open then to convert it back to a word doc as there was no way I could edit it in Adobe(even with the latest version of Acrobat Pro) then edit it in word including having to reallign nearly every answer box and then convert it back to a pdf so the company logo went back to where it should it be rather than sitting (and not seemingly able to be moved) over the answer boxes!!!

Maybe anyone reading this can please send out vibes that I now get the job
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Glad you have sorted things out.

I will make some general points about Adobe.

The latest version of Adobe reader is version X. I have installed that on my machine. [It costs nothing!! ]

About a year ago I downloaded in report book for a youth organization which was created in PDF format. Using the Adobe Reader X software I was able to fill in the various sections that were required.

I don't know what version your application form was created with - but it would be worthwhile ensuring that you have the latest version of Adobe Reader on your machine.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
For future reference, it might be worth trying LibreOffice.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Wishing you the very best of luck with everything , I somehow downloaded Adobe x from somewhere don't even know how or why(but it opened/let do things couldn't if had not).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >