Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bowler
New Member!
Male 

05-12-2009, 06:08 PM

My dog will not stop fighting!

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and am posting this question for my dad.

He has owned a spaniel/collie cross for the last 8 years (dog is 11). About 6 years ago she got involved in a vicious fight with another dog (who started it). Since then she has been involved in several fights has become more and more confronational. If she encounters a dog who has fought with previously she goes into a frenzy and becomes uncontrolable. She now cannot be let off the lead in case she sees another dog and starts to fight. My dad is at his wits end. She is so placid around the house and up until the first fight was always off the lead. Can anyone advise?

Darren.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Poor girl (and your dad)
Collies have looooong memories
Its prob best if he gets in a decent behaviourist to help build her confidence again (steer clear of anyone who suggests she is dom)
I also totaly recomend the book 'control unleashed' which is great at explaining about dogs thresholds and games to play to help with situations like that

It will take time tho because its something she has been doing for a while
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:59 PM
I agree. I have 3 here and thier memories are soooooooooo loooooooooooong its untrue.

Get your dad to find a good behaviourist (with qualifications) and work at this problem. It will take time though as she has been doing this for some time.

Best wishes to you and your Dad