View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
we have similar trainers in this area, sadly they seem to do very well, with plenty of people willing to pay each week, use prong collars,
I think though that my class can stay as it is,, full of {very happy dogs} who are not always the best trained,, but are emotionaly stable, not aggressive,
I have never found a dog that I felt using prongs or similar on would help, I havent even seen a prong appart from on the net,,
to me its lazy trainers with no tallent that stoop that low x
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2008, 01:50 PM
As you say you have only ever seen the prong collars on the net it's a bit unfair to say all people who use them are lazy trainers with no tallent, these tools are for experienced people who know what they are doing, it's just a shame every one thinks as them selves as experts on something most of you have never seen, let alone be able to comment about a pinch
I use a pinch collar to train with, i am neither abusive to my dogs nor spiteful, i don't think my dogs would do a sodding thing for me if i was crule. But you all have your own opinnion,as i have mine,. but please peeps don't over exaggerate, spikes been driven into necks, bit ott imo.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I have seen a pinch collar used just once and I wasn't keen. I am not saying they don't have a place in a toolbox used by a professional who is trained in its use, but for every bod on the street, no.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by workinggsd View Post
As you say you have only ever seen the prong collars on the net it's a bit unfair to say all people who use them are lazy trainers with no tallent, these tools are for experienced people who know what they are doing, it's just a shame every one thinks as them selves as experts on something most of you have never seen, let alone be able to comment about a pinch
I use a pinch collar to train with, i am neither abusive to my dogs nor spiteful, i don't think my dogs would do a sodding thing for me if i was crule. But you all have your own opinnion,as i have mine,. but please peeps don't over exaggerate, spikes been driven into necks, bit ott imo.
I guess it then depends on how experienced you are what you consider experianced, also I never said all trainers, but going by the club near me that use them, around 80% of there dogs are trained with a prong,,, do that amount of dogs really need prongs in one club? if so whats wrong with the foundation training? somethings not working right there? hence my thoughts on lazy untallented trainer,
Its just my views on what happens round my way
In my case, I have never had to resort to one to train any dog,
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by ticketyboo View Post
.I wonder how he treats children.
Does that matter? We are talking about dogs here and they are of paramount importance. You are suggesting that children are more important than dogs - I don't agree and I am sure some others here will agree with me.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I go to a training club that has a class specially for aggressive / antisocial dogs. (I have a previously aggressive dog.) The guy running it has years of experience dealing with nightmare dogs. I have never seen him use aggression or cruelty. If he can - why can`t others? There is a difference in being assertive and in being a bully. IMO using pain to train is just plain wrong.

Well said indeed
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by workinggsd View Post
But you all have your own opinnion,as i have mine,. but please peeps don't over exaggerate, spikes been driven into necks, bit ott imo.
I've seen a few prong collars (some owners actually buy covers for them so they look like normal collars ) - personally I don't agree with them.
I believe they do more harm than good. I know of dogs with behavioural problems caused by them.

They are in some cases (in particular abroad) sharpened -I was reading about this on a forum that leans towards harsher methods very much, and one person was quite open about it. This was for competition dogs though.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Just wanted to add that many behaviourist help with problem dogs who show aggression, but do not use harsh methods (aggression causes more aggression usually).
And association with harsh methods causes more problems also.
Not good.

One reason some can't say or do anything is due to the Milgram effect where people will do what they are told by officials...ie those in authority!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Just wanted to add that many behaviourist help with problem dogs who show aggression, but do not use harsh methods (aggression causes more aggression usually).
And association with harsh methods causes more problems also.
Not good.

One reason some can't say or do anything is due to the Milgram effect where people will do what they are told by officials...ie those in authority!
I often feel people who have no prior experiance with dog training, what diff trainers have to offer and so on, go to there first dog trainer and feel thats how everyone must do it, its not untill by chance they stumble over another trainer or person who trains there dog diff that they find out theres lots of ways to do things

people put there trust in dog trainers, feeling they are doing the best for there dog, but many trainers fall short of that responsibility, sad but true
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by bullyfield View Post
i dont agree with choke chains either i much prefer if you need to check your dog use a half check at least it does not choke the dog as chokers do

of course it is just my opinion it doesnt mean it is gospel but its how i work lol

Tanya x
I dont use half checks either, just a flat collar, my dogs are small however, but didnt use one on the Dobes either.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The spiked collar acts like a choke as well - it tightens as much as you want. I suppose if you were that way inclined you could throttle a dog at the same time as driving spikes into its neck - so it`s no real wonder it gets an immediate effect. Depends really on what sort of person you are as to whether you feel it`s worth it.
Not sure if thats aimed at me or not, but the pinch collar I saw on a dog
certainly wasnt tight, it lay loose, I didnt acually see the dog pull on it, but I do know it was a maniac before it wore it.
Page 7 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »