Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by bullyfield View Post
that sort of "handling" of a dog is barbaric ! its reminisent of old says and choke chains where they used to choke up dogs !

now it should and always should have been firm but fair and persistance lots of encouragement and find what ever possitive thing to motivate your dog make it fun and they learn faster!

this guy sounds like ex police ( not sure if it was said he was or not) so i doubt there is any form of governing body to report him to however RSPCA could be an option

i hope and pray that owners dont fall foul to his ways and means of instilling fear and pain as a dog will only give what it recieves and learns to fear human hands is dangerous in itself for any dog!

as for prong collars never even seen one they are illigal in the uk only ever seen pics they dont look very kind but i guess i cant really comment on em really but i will say that dragging dogs and making them scream certainly is not a good thing!
No they are not illegal at all. I have seen one put to good use, with a metal out of control Dobermann. Cant see the problem personally. If a dog pulls and he feels discomfort, then he doesnt pull, if that achieves your goal then its fine by me. Wouldnt use one myself, but then Id never let a dog pull to within an inch of its life and be so out of control that I could see the need for one.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by bullyfield View Post
i stand corrected i always thought the prong collar was illegal my misstake

still i dont imagine them to be very nice on the poor dogs necks
Sorry if this has already been stated and I've missed it, but is it that these barbaric things can be bought or ordered from outside the UK and shipped here?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Nope, they can be bought here.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I seem to be seeing more of them out and about sadly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I seem to be seeing more of them out and about sadly.
Really? I can honestly say I have never seen one at all on any dog besides the Dobermann I know of.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:57 AM
They`re actually quite difficult to spot if you`re not looking for them. The spikes are inside and raise to dig into the dog`s flesh only when pressure is applied (isn`t it wonderful how people are SO inventive). I actually brought a rehomed dog home on one without realising it (I`d never heard of them before). I couldn`t understand why she was behaving so oddly, hopping up and down and so tense all the time, till I took the collar off. I was mortified, and phoned the RSPCA to ask if these were legal. I was shocked to here they are. It took ages to get that youngster walking properly.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I believe you do get the odd dog who will need to be treated like this, they will be challenging you for Alpha dog which is nature and you have to stand up. But I think all other options need to be looked at 1st.
ATD x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
I believe you do get the odd dog who will need to be treated like this, they will be challenging you for Alpha dog which is nature and you have to stand up. But I think all other options need to be looked at 1st.
ATD x
I disagree. Totally.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:36 AM
would you rather the animal be destroyed? I know of someone who had a v. aggressive Doberman he tried everything in the end he had to challenge back. he made a lovely dog.
ATD x
btw i dont agree with the prong collars.
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Think people will always view the Pinch collar as something barbarric, especially if they have a normal driven dog, and have never used 1,
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »