View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the link about prong and choke collars .
Excellent reply to that Patch .
Reading that just made me think all the more reasons to NOT use a prong collar !
"Small people with big dogs" should really ensure they are able to handle a big dog before they get one .
I've NEVER yet seen a disabled person with a prong collar on their dog , assistance dogs are properly trained before being placed with the people who need them. I have arthritis of my spine but I would NEVER resort to using a prong collar on my SBT ! She walks well enough in a wide nylon half check or a harness although she pulls like the devil in a flat collar. I just make sure she has plenty of exercise , a good run off lead , regular and interesting training sessions and interactive play with toys or a ball to fetch . She will also be going back to agility training soon , when I am fit enough to run with her.
ANYONE who feels the need to use a prong collar on a "bouncy puppy" should be banned from keeping animals for life .
bullyfield
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2008, 03:46 PM
can only agree i dont think there is any need in any circumstance to use a prong collar just because the dog is domesticated by us does not mean we have a right to cause pain just because a dog wont comply to what we want fast enough!
any dog can be trained with time patience and caring attitude

although i dont personally feel a body harness is a solution for a pulling dog as i feel they only give more power to the dog that is just my opinion but at least a harness does not hurt and cause fear and pain like i assume a prong would
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by bullyfield View Post

although i dont personally feel a body harness is a solution for a pulling dog as i feel they only give more power to the dog that is just my opinion but at least a harness does not hurt and cause fear and pain like i assume a prong would
With a harness be it for a puller or not, [ mine are ex-pullers thanks to their harnesses, and no pain or fear usage involved ], its all down to three main things -

1] correct type for the dogs needs,

2] correct fitting,
[ those two elements are what prevent a dog being able to push into a harness, it does`nt enable the dogs physical power, it prevents the dog from being able to utilise their strength as well as diminishing the dogs feeling of the `need` to pull ],

3] and of course - training
bullyfield
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
With a harness be it for a puller or not, [ mine are ex-pullers thanks to their harnesses, and no pain or fear usage involved ], its all down to three main things -

2] correct fitting,
[ those two elements are what prevent a dog being able to push into a harness, it does`nt enable the dogs physical power, it prevents the dog from being able to utilise their strength as well as diminishing the dogs feeling of the `need` to pull ],

Patch you have missunderstood my post methinks lol i was not saying they dont work as i said in my personal opinion is they dont work and i have lots of ex pullers under my belt also and i have never used a harness and i agree it is down to training is a harness works for you then fab but they dont work for me dont like em

i dont agree it dimisnishes the need to pull but then thats just me and my opinion

and if a harness prevents the pulling power why are they used in sled dogs in dogs that pull weights etc ? as i say im all for it if it works for you but they aint for me either i always use a flat or half check thats what works for me but others will say they dont work but i am a believer in never say never ( apart from anything causing pain ) its what works for handler and dog that matters not what i think will or wont work because no two dogs are exactly the same much as humans they are individual no matter what it all boils down to correct training and being firm but fair patient and loving
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

2] correct fitting,

number three has always worked for me too,
I dont use harnesses, more so As I feel they need to be fitted properly,, as I would with a horse,, dogs change shape quite a bit so I would be worried it would rub, cause problems,

I would however like to look into there uses,, poss give one a try on puller just to see what results I could obtain from it
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2008, 08:23 PM
This post seems to have become more about a debate on prong collars which I do not believe was the OP intention. I mean really what do people hink should be done in Claire's situation. I would definatly vote with my feet but obviously there are many misguided dog owners who think that this way of training is appropriate. IMO it is just cuel.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Hmm is there anything we can do about trainers like this?? Would the RSPCA get involved because it is cruelty?? also report them to whatever dog training body they are accredited to?? I am assuming that there are no places now that would want their name put to dogs screaming in the name of training
and an article in the local paper (or national) might be a way to help people who dont know any better and dont have the guts to put their small voice forward and say 'thats wrong!'

or.... if we hear of any classes like that how about a few dogsey members sign up for a class or two?? (of course never to let the trainer touch our dogs) /stand outside and offer to help the people with difficult dogs (I am sure many of us would happily give up some time to help an owner with a difficult dog - rather than have them taken into classes like that)
I thought about the RSPCA thing too and didn't know if they would get involved. Also so all dog trainers need to be accredited or affiliated to a governing body. If they are how would you find out which one this guy is linked to? As reporting him to a governing body sounds the most apropriate. Would this be an option for you Claire?

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
One reason some can't say or do anything is due to the Milgram effect where people will do what they are told by officials...ie those in authority!
I would second this, generally people find it difficult to question those they see as authority igures - I see it everyday.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I still don't understand how the UK police forces manage to train their high drive dogs to a very high standard without the use of a prong?
Maybe you would like to take a look at an old book published in 1990's by John Fisher titled "DOGWISE The natural way to train your dog" It's an easy read and documents a mans successfull experiment to train a rescue GSD to police dog standards using only positive reinforcement.

Originally Posted by mandydog View Post
Why do you add this to every post?

If it means, as I think it might, "in my opinion", it is superfluous as you are hardly going to post something which is not.
Whoa that's a bit harsh, not to mention off-topic! Naughty-naughty.
bullyfield
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by LittleLady View Post
This post seems to have become more about a debate on prong collars which I do not believe was the OP intention. I mean really what do people hink should be done in Claire's situation. I would definatly vote with my feet but obviously there are many misguided dog owners who think that this way of training is appropriate. IMO it is just cuel.

I thought about the RSPCA thing too and didn't know if they would get involved. Also so all dog trainers need to be accredited or affiliated to a governing body. If they are how would you find out which one this guy is linked to? As reporting him to a governing body sounds the most apropriate. Would this be an option for you Claire?

I would second this, generally people find it difficult to question those they see as authority igures - I see it everyday.

Maybe you would like to take a look at an old book published in 1990's by John Fisher titled "DOGWISE The natural way to train your dog" It's an easy read and documents a mans successfull experiment to train a rescue GSD to police dog standards using only positive reinforcement.

absolutley agree very well put vote with feet have the guts to leave without letting that guy near your dog and enquire to rspca etc to see if anything CAN be done
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
number three has always worked for me too,
I dont use harnesses, more so As I feel they need to be fitted properly,, as I would with a horse,, dogs change shape quite a bit so I would be worried it would rub, cause problems,

I would however like to look into there uses,, poss give one a try on puller just to see what results I could obtain from it

You would be more than welcome to try this out with Missy. I would be happy to leave my dog under your control as I know you would never use harsh training methods. I know you would never grab her by the scruff and drag her across the floor screaming. I know you would never hit her or use a prong collar to stop her from pulling. Seeing how happy and relaxed your OWN dogs are speaks volumes for your skills as a trainer. .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=LittleLady;1433555]

The original guy asking our trainer for advice knew all about positive methods as he goes to a club that uses them I can only assume (never met the guy, just the trainer he asked for an opinion) he wanted a short-cut. The trainer didn`t tell us the details of the class, but did let the venue slip so I sleuthed a bit and think I know it - it`s a small club in a church hall. I don`t think trainers do need to be accredited in `private` clubs like this. She said he was an ex-policeman which we found worrying given the history of Essex polce dog unit. And yes, she did advise the original guy of her feelings on the training - but he still said he might try it.
Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11