Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 12:01 PM

[B]Jack Grieving - Help[/B]

As alot of you know, we had to have Jadie PTS this week. We were all prepared for it with the exception of Jack, our 20 month old Patterdale.
He's a very independent little dog and I really didnt see losing Jadie hitting him as hard as it has.

Jadie left us on Tuesday evening. He hasnt eaten since, he refuses to come out of his crate in the mornings and when he finally does, he goes out for a quick wee or whatever, then he goes and lies on the dog bed which they both shared in the lounge. Jadie slept upstairs with us and at every opportunity he gets up there and lies where she used to sleep.

He gets a little animated when we go out for a walk but nothing like the usual excitement. It seems the joy has gone out of everything for him. I'm trying really hard not to make more fuss of him than usual, but he's so pitiful. In the evenings once all is quiet, he sits on my feet with his head on my lap and doesnt move.

I really didnt see this coming and i dont know how to help him. I still have Jadies collar, do I give that to him or will it make things worse, do i take the dog bed away they shared or leave it for him? His favourite Kongs are of no interest to him now and he's not interested in any of his chews or tug toys either.

It's breaking my heart seeing him so sad. I know he wont starve himself to death, but how can I cheer him up? All suggestions gratefully accepted
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a huge lump in my throat reading this - its so sad.

I'm really sorry, I have no experience of this at all and can't offer any help or advice. Just wanted to send some hugs to you and Jack and to say I really hope he picks up soon.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 12:24 PM
No advice, just hugs to you all.....
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Aww bless him poor lad.

In all honesty it will probably be very short lived. Just carry on with him as you are and stick to the same routine as much as possible that you did when you had Jadie too. I know not the same but when one of my cats lost his sister earlier this year it probably took him about a fortnight of similar behaviour before he started to come round.

Jack will be used to having canine company and aswell as loosing a friend in Jadie he has lost that company and will be feeling lonely. Do you have any friends with dogs who could perhaps come over for a while and have them interact with jack for a bit of company? That might help.

All the best. x
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 12:32 PM
BIg hugs to you and Jack.

Meggie took the death of our collie very badly, very similar to your Jack. I really believe dogs grieve for the buddies, they were very close. Tessie was more like a Mum to her. Meggie was under one when tess died, and would just lay still for hours, she couldn't be bothered with anything.She slowly came out of it, but it took a few weeks, she cried at night for her friend and that broke my heart, but she did start to eat and become more like her old self. She seemed to suddenly grow up too.
We just gave her space to be alone if she wanted it, and took her for lots of walks, which seemed to help. it was when we were at home she seemd to notice Tess wasn't there.

Jack will get better soon, he just needs time to adjust, the same as you.

So sorry for your loss
Love and massive hugs Suzi xx
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 12:42 PM
omg im almost in tears readading that.... i have no advicec but plenty of hugs!

Alex
xxxxxx(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))) )))))
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I dont know what to say as I had two dogs left when storm died, but its so upsetting to read.

When storm died both Star and Jake were out of sorts and lay there and ignored each other, there was even a couple of fights that was unlike them. We just left them to get used to it in their own time, we did take them on a couple of extra walks to different places just to take their minds off Storm not being about which I think worked a little. It was about 2weeks when they were back to normal, but every dog is different and there is not sure fire time frame, but Jake will know you are there for him.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi Jackpat it is sad for dogs when they lose a companion, and of course Jack will pick up on your mood too. Hard as it is the best thing you can do to help Jack is to be bright and cheerfully and 'jolly him along' because to some extent he will share your mood .

As Random says carry on with the familiar routine so that there are not too many changes at once. Jack will gradually get used to the new circumstances in time.....xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Poor Jack, reading that is so sad and reminded me of when Shannon my Cocker spaniel died, Dudley my Boxer was inconsolable and they never even appeared to be particularly close. I couldn't even leave my Boxer in the house because he took to bellowing in distress and I had to take him with me everywhere until I rather quickly found another pup. The change was astounding he was as happy as Larry from the minute Tyler my Parson Russell came home. Those two were really close to each other and yet strangely when Dudley was pts many years later Tyler just took it in his stride and didn't seem to bat an eyelid. He then became an only dog for the next 10 years. They are all individuals and you just can't prepare for how they will react unfortunately. I would just try to keep him busy and get him playing with other dogs and play it by ear but he probably wants a buddy.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 01:33 PM
That is so very sad, and I can sympathise, my mum lost our old westie Flora in June, she was 17. Now her other westie, Blssom, is so much more subdued, not that interested in anything anymore... She perks up no end when i take Flower and Willow over, she absolutely loves playing with them and she is a different dog when they are around.. Before we got Blossom, we had another westie who was killed at 2 years old, when she had gone, Flora was also ining...hence why we got Blossom (very confusing!)

I personally think company for them is so important. Although Flower is very independant...I think she would be the same if anything happened to Willow, and vice versa. xxxxx

big hugs to you and jack (((hugs))) xxxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >