View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeerHunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-08-2015, 03:29 PM

Your opinion. Dog uncomfortable in car.Vomits.

We have 2 dogs , one a female Golden Retriever cross we can't keep out of the car , another mixed breed male rescue dog we can't get into the car.

We've spent the last year or so trying all the standard "training" procedures with no luck. As soon as we think he's comfortable and relaxed and go for a short 5 minute car ride he vomits in the car and we're back to square one.

Reasoning that vomiting in the car is a very unpleasant experience and contributing to his anxiety , we've resorted to using Gravol to settle his stomach and so far have managed to take the 5 minute car ride to the park once a week where we walk them for 1/2 hour on a long leash allowing them the freedom to sniff all the new smells and meet and greet anyone interested in petting them a few times. They seem to really enjoy this and he relaxes to the point that when it's time to come home , he willingly hops into the car.

I should also mention that to load him to start the great adventure , he's reluctant and I have to pick him up and place him in the car , and then I pet and praise him so he understands I'm not anger (he's overly sensitive to our moods). Also , even though he knows we're coming home , by the time we arrive he is starting to drool (sign of anxiety).

Vehicle is a RAV4 with seats down so they have plenty of room in the back and can look out the windows (which we keep open a bit for air flow).

Our reasoning is that the more times he has an uneventful car ride producing an pleasant experience at the park , the less apprehensive he will be about getting in the car to start with. There are other places we can go where we could let them off leash but they're further away (1/2 hour or more) so we haven't pushed it.

I've even considered buying a used RV (our goal was to get one anyway so we could travel with the dogs) to see if a different vehicle would make a difference. We could feed and sleep in it with them.

Also , lack of exercise isn't a factor as we live on a remote acreage and they have plenty of room to roam and run around as they aren't confined.

We're at a total loss with this one as he's the only dog we've ever had that was apprehensive about riding in a vehicle.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-08-2015, 04:15 PM
How old is he,sometimes they grow out of it. Having said that one of my girls gets very anxious when in the car on her own, she's not too bad with one of the others there, but she is drooling and just not happy. I have used Adaptil spray
with some success, but nothing really 'works' its just her and I live with it http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADAPTIL-2006...fuser+for+dogs
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Lots of dogs vomit in the car, just as some people do, it's more akin to travel sickness than anxiety. My cocker spaniel did it throughout his life, one of my Pugs does it after about an hour in the car. I do find they usually manage better in the front foot well if you can. My Pug does better in a soft crate on the front seat as she's distracted by watching me but tricky with other people in the car.
BeerHunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-08-2015, 05:56 PM
He's just a tad over 2 years now and we always take the 2 of them together.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-08-2015, 06:22 PM
I think you're going to have to go with it, and its a bonus if he stops. The spray does work on some dogs, but not all.
Nothing works with Mabs, and most times if she's in the car she's going somewhere nice, very occasionally the vets (which she hates)
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2015, 07:16 PM
My previous dog had this issue. I'd make him ride in the seat because he'd always try to cram into the floor and I thought it was more comfortable for him. He'd always be nervous and vomit. After a while I decided to just let him cram onto the floor despite how stupid I thought it was. He was much more relaxed and stopped vomiting. Seeing everything passing by scared him and made him queasy, when he was unable to see it... he did better. I felt bad for making him sit on the seat, turns out there was a reason for what he was doing.
BeerHunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Interesting comments..txs..I'll keep reading.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2015, 12:11 AM
My Eddie (Beagle), had really bad travel problems as a puppy. I believe it was based in anxiety, as he came to me at 15 weeks, and this was his sixth place of residence.
I treated him with a travel sickness tablet, (Stugeron 15), on the advice of someone who had a lot of experience with this problem. She told me to give one tablet the night before we were going to travel, and one the following morning. I must admit that, as he was still a baby, I chickened out and only gave him half of that dose, but the result was amazing, and he was cured within a couple of weeks.
I don't know about Canada, but in the UK - do not say it is to be used for a dog, or the pharmacy won't supply it.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2015, 02:08 AM
I have a cat that used to get car sick due to anxiety. He would throw up or worse! What worked for him was to ride in his cat carrier on the floor of the car with a towel over it. This seemed to make him feel more secure. I'm not sure if riding in some sort of crate would help your dog feel more secure, but just wanted to throw it out there as an idea.

I did write a blog post about getting a dog used to a car very slowly over time. The steps recommended by the trainers I talked to involved starting out by just sitting in the car in the garage for 5 mins without actually turning the car on. Do that for 5 mins at a time over several days. Then, do the same but start the car without actually going anywhere. Do that several times over several days, etc. Hope that helps!

Here is the link: https://www.dogids.com/blog/how-to-h...-to-car-rides/
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2015, 10:28 AM
I've had a dog who was sick in one vehicle but not in another sort. Is it possible to try him in a totally different one?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >