View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Am very interested to read this and had quite recently enquired about one of her courses, have a book here that was given as a present few years ago. More recent since internet, but have seen snippets? of video of JF n folk with their dogs. Not for me am afraid, no disrespect to anyone, think all have to find their own way, good advice given here, good luck.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Never heard of her, but if she says to ignore your dog for days if they ignore you sounds a bit mad to me.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I bought one of her books years ago but never read it. Following a previous thread on here I picked it up...wgat a pile of tosh. I got to the bit where on of her dogs disobeyed her and she wouldn't let her out from under the table all day then ignored the poor dog for days. I was in disbelief. The poor dog must have been so confused. I stopped bothering to read it at that point. So I have a spare copy of the Dog Listener if anyone wants it....
TWOSOCKS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I have one of her books and have seen her programs, at first I thought she was ok but the more I watched her the more I doubted especially when she said that a dog licks the soap off our skin after a bath to see if its still us?? what the hell
there are much better trainers out there
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I read her book once and re-read it. One thing stuck in my mind was when she was telling the tale of the Border Collie she had which was PTS due to biting one of her children. She had moved from a city to the countryside and her explanation of the collie's decline in behaviour and subsequent 'explosion' was the dog found the countryside "too much". More like it was bored out of its mind, after all the stimulation of the city!

I was reminded of that dog again yesterday as I've just started reading Jean Donaldson's "Dogs Are From Neptune". She describes what she calls 'the urban dog syndrome'. I'm not sure if I've taken it on board properly, but a city dog sees hundreds of people, cars, buildings, other dogs, people of all kinds, children, bicycles etc etc on a regular basis. This all adds up to a lot of things happening and a lot of stimulation for a dog. Quite the opposite of a dog in a rural location which has a pretty quiet life in comparison.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
She knows little about dogs, but a lot about people. She is living proof that you can fool most of the people most of the time.
Which is how she has built up a lucrative business selling her `name` to unqualified people who pretend they are experts on dog behaviour.
Absolutely!

Wys
x
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 09:34 AM
TabithaJ ~ I think you can guess now what most people think of JF's methods on this forum!!!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I was actually trained by JF back in the day, I went on both her courses. I have become very disillusioned with a lot of things she says/does. Habing met her in person several times, she's exactly how you'd think.
I do agree with some things she does and am friends with people who have also 'left' her...I do use some parts of the method, but not all - for example: I ignore Axel when I come in and call him over for fuss...but he has very good basic manners so when he asks nicely for affection I give it to him. I don't eat before him or ignore him for days...I have a very nice bond with him inspite of this
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I watched in in Australia at the World Dog games - she was doing some talks. After 5 mins (and watching her demonstrate the fact that you had to eat a grape or cracker out of the dogs bowl to prove it was was yours first)I walked off and found another talk.

Not impressed.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys

Must admit, I was taken aback at JF's idea of ignoring a dog sometimes for days at a time if it disobeys a recall. I can maybe see the value of doing that for 15 minutes but not for days on end...!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >