Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Your opinions on Jan Fennell, if you are familiar with her

Just noticed that in another thread Jan Fennell was mentioned. As it happens I'm just reading one of her books. Am really interested as to what other folk think of her...?

Specifically: what do you make of her idea that if your dog ignores the 'come' command, the owner should then ignore the dog, sometimes for days at a time it seems...?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Just noticed that in another thread Jan Fennell was mentioned. As it happens I'm just reading one of her books. Am really interested as to what other folk think of her...?

Specifically: what do you make of her idea that if your dog ignores the 'come' command, the owner should then ignore the dog, sometimes for days at a time it seems...?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
I think she is rubbish
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I think she is rubbish
Quite agree.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Actually I think she is a very clever woman who has made a lot of money from her books, tv and radio appearances and her own franchise.

However............

IMHO most of what she says is not new and a lot of it is complete codswallop and as for inventing a word for dog language (is there sign for throw up?).

Dogs are not stupid, eating "pretend" meals before your dog has nothing to do with effective leadership.

As for stepping through every door before your dog (yeah I am going to step out through the patio doors in the snow in my pjs before letting my dog out to pee at night........) not.

(Fortunatelyl someone has just stolen my soapbox from under my feet..................)
skippy440
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I fail to see how "ignoring the dog if they don't come when called" accomplishes any thing.

When I take my cocker out in the front yard, I carry a treat in my pocket (which he watches me grab and put in there - so he knows that I have it there) to use as a reward for doing his business outside ( he's only 16 weeks old and almost got the house training down now) and to encourage a positive response when I call him back to me.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
IMHO most of what she says is not new and a lot of it is complete codswallop and as for inventing a word for dog language (is there sign for throw up?).
You want this one:

I agree with what you said above, and there are many sensitive dogs out there who would become insecure and stressed if ignored as she advises, weakening the dog-owner bond instead of strengthening it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 06:20 PM
ahh...but if my dog comes when he wants...i ignore/send away..not the same thing tho lol.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Actually I think she is a very clever woman who has made a lot of money from her books, tv and radio appearances and her own franchise.

However............

Dogs are not stupid, eating "pretend" meals before your dog has nothing to do with effective leadership.

As for stepping through every door before your dog (yeah I am going to step out through the patio doors in the snow in my pjs before letting my dog out to pee at night........) not.

(Fortunatelyl someone has just stolen my soapbox from under my feet..................)
That's what I said. She's rubbish, I just said it faster....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 07:00 PM
She knows little about dogs, but a lot about people. She is living proof that you can fool most of the people most of the time.
Which is how she has built up a lucrative business selling her `name` to unqualified people who pretend they are experts on dog behaviour.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >