Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Your Experiances with Noise and Sound CD's

Was wondering if any of you have used a CD with numerous sounds like Fireworks/House Hold appliances/Cars/Animals etc and whether you found them a good way to help your dog become used to different sounds. Did it help the socialsation period you initially went/are going through?
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-03-2009, 02:00 PM
I have never found it necessary. Sometimes I think we make living with dogs far more complicated than it should be.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Boxer Boy View Post
I have never found it necessary. Sometimes I think we make living with dogs far more complicated than it should be.
Then you are lucky never to have a noise sensitive dog!!
I got Mia the end of October, November was a nightmare for her and then again at new year she was a quivering mess, hiding in her crate and wouldnt go to the loo outside at night at all and pulled all the way home on walks

I am just trying one of these cd's hopefully to get a headstart on next year - dont know if it will work or not but I have got it fairly loud and she hasnt even so much as twitched an ear - fingers crossed!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Don't forget that it is a bit like everything. Very different reactions based on the circumstances.

Would be worth palying it different rooms/the car/outside etc.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey there! this is an excellent and IMHO invaluable article on dogs and fireworks (if you scroll down you will find more info on Desensitising and counterconditioning using tapes, cds etc and how to solve the problems of vibrations, smells etc which are hard to tackle.

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behavio...fireworks.html

"This programme is extremely protracted and the best results are from owners who take great care in administering it meticulously. Each dog is individual but even in the easiest cases progress will be measured in months, rather than days "

Hth

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Just to add my BSD breeder friend used a Blue Cross cd on my girl's litter and she was brilliant with fireworks until we had some fool let one off nearby when she was about 3 (it was one of those ultra loud bangers) and then we had to get in a DAP, use behavioural modification etc etc... all because of this idiot ... excuse me whilst I say directed at them!!

Wys
x
mysti77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Max doesn't flinch with the cd on top volume but if fireworks are actually on it bothers him. I think he can tell the difference
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 08:11 PM
I have had great success with a sound CD for a severe firwork phoebia, I used it in conjunction with a DAP diffuser.

I think if the dog is JUST scared if the noise, it can work well...sadly some dogs are also effected by the lights ( I had one that was really upset by the lights not the sound) and some just know the smell.....or even worse all 3.
The sound cds can be brill...but as someone else said you need to play them in different contexts. Used properly they can work wonders.

I have had dogs where the cds have been played to the litters and a couple were fine, but one was noise sensitive...personally I rthink it was as a direct result of the CD not being used carefully enough and the breeder not being totally aware of the signals the pups were giving off when it was played. Some signals can be so minute.....lip licking etc etc etc
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I think the noise CD helped one of our dogs, as he was very scared of the washing machine and fireworks, over time with playing the cd, he was alright. However, my friend thinks it is a waste of time.