Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by justjess View Post
I'm not sure if it would be the same in this case but my mum and dad had too dogs a yougster and an oldish one, and the same thing was hapening and like you they were treating the older dog as top dog, feeding him first, treats first, fuss first ect ect and they were told by a behaviorist(sp) person that they should be treating the youngster as top dog now as when they were on there own they knew that the youngster was boss but when my mum or dad where there the old dog knew they treated him like boss and the youn one didn't like it and wanted to show that he was top dog, but as soon as the startes fussing/feeding/treating the young one first the fighting stopped and they became much better
very interesting thanks x
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2009, 08:12 PM
no problem lol just keep us all up to date n let us know how everything gets on
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I like Helenas way of putting it - i do this with my young pup and older dog.

Also, in my opinion - you DON'T make a dog pack leader - you should be the pack leader.

Feeding time - i feed in no particular order - sometimes pups food bowl down first, sometimes not. Most of the time they have to sit and wait till both bowls are down before being allowed to eat.
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2009, 08:15 PM
i didn't meen pack leader as in above you i mean top dog out of the two dogs not ppl
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 08:58 PM
i didn't meen pack leader as in above you i mean top dog out of the two dogs not ppl
Ditto...

I don't believe that I am a part of the dog pack. I am outside and above it. They have a communication and a bond that I am simply not a part of. I can step in. i can impose my order on them and they respect that and respect me. But they need to be able to deal with each other on their own terms as well..

There is more to the pack order than just top dog and everyone else. There are rankings among them as well that need to be respected.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2009, 09:01 PM

Sorry - misread
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3