View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
But why?? I genuinely cannot see the point of such "research." I mean is the chimp going out to work? Will they ever? Nope! What possible difference could it make to us as humans, what benefit, is all this studying doing? I honestly see it as a complete waste of time and money. Animals in false environments forced to do tricks for food. Seems ridiculous to me.

But thats me.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
But why?? I genuinely cannot see the point of such "research." I mean is the chimp going out to work? Will they ever? Nope! What possible difference could it make to us as humans, what benefit, is all this studying doing? I honestly see it as a complete waste of time and money. Animals in false environments forced to do tricks for food. Seems ridiculous to me.

But thats me.
I think if you look at each study individually, then it can seem a little questionable at times. However, I think it helps to look at them as rungs up a very large ladder. I just read 'How Dogs Think' by Stanley Coren who uses a lot of these research results to draw his conclusions:

Do dogs have a notion of time? To what extent do dogs understand what you say? How sharp are their senses? What do they see and hear? Do dogs have a sense of music, humour, empathy, guilt or love? Do they learn by observation the way that people do? How much can they remember? Do dogs have ESP or the ability to predict earthquakes, and is it true that they can detect cancer or the onset of an epileptic fit in their owners? Drawing on all the latest scientific research, How Dogs Think will enable dog owners everywhere to understand more about what goes on in the mind of their best friend.
Without much of these research projects (and his own research) we would have next to no chance of answering even the basics and so, ultimately, they have to be a good thing, yes?

I think the overwhelming feeling I came away with is that I don't think we've even scratched the surface of what our dogs are capable of in terms of training.

P.S. The book is well worth a read. One of the best I've read in some time.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Just watched part two - loved it! (Added link to first post if anyone needs it.)

But thats me.
Why research anything?

To get a better understanding and to improve our knowledge (and hopefully use that knowledge wisely).

If that research proves just one thing, that animals can feel emotion to a greater level than we previously thought, then right now - in light of how some people think they can kill/abuse/exploit animals as they please - then it will have done enough in my book.

Of course that's not just what it's doing tho - (ethical) animal research is extremely beneficial for humans, in terms of treatments and new ideas on how to treat or improve things for humans - just imagine how the memory capability of some of the species would benefit us?

Unfortunately I doubt few of those studies were carried out for altruistic reasons - but rather the amount of money that might be made Something I find just as saddening as those that deny animals are sentient beings that should be respected and cared for.

PS there's a HUGE difference between teaching an animal 'tricks' for a cheap laugh than trying to teach them a language/communication
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 07:06 AM

But thats me.
Everyone has their cut off point for what is a complete waste of time and money.

some think the same about dogs in general, dog showing etc.

Not sure how the animals are "forced" to do tricks for food? How is it any different than how they WORK for food when in the wild? They have to make great efforts to get food sometimes.

What about when we bait our dogs in the show ring or treat them whilst training? Is that FORCING them to "do tricks" for food?

Many of the things we viewed on this programme were natural behaviours and the result of evolution living near man.

Those that were not can, IMHO, heighten our interest in other species and engender a new respect for them rather than considering them a nuisance, vermin etc which is what SOME people do in SOME circumstances.

No research is altruistic (unless of course the scientist and peripheral bods are independently wealthy) and it could be argued that true altruism is rare indeed............
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 11:55 AM
I do think that for some, research like this can help to encourage fairer treatment of captive and wild animals and encourage a healthy respect.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I still think its a HUGE waste of money. Far better researching medicine IMO, that will benefit humans.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 06:47 PM
I still think its a HUGE waste of money. Far better researching medicine IMO, that will benefit humans.
what a strange comment
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Lol Dawn, it *is* medicine related - they derive all sorts of medical advances from learning just about from anything related.

But with regards to you thinking it's a waste - that's your prerogative... and you get to choose which research you support by donating/helping any way you can.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Lol Dawn, it *is* medicine related - they derive all sorts of medical advances from learning just about from anything related.

But with regards to you thinking it's a waste - that's your prerogative... and you get to choose which research you support by donating/helping any way you can.
Well I meant research for medicine, say cancer cures etc.. Teaching a monkey to tap a screen quicker than I can means diddly squat to me to be honest. Nor that he perhaps has a more photographic memory than a human. For me at least, nothing they do will benefit a human.

You are correct though, we can choose who we help.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Dawn, I sort of felt a little like you
But sometimes you learn things from research that is totaly different from the goal you set out to learn

Pavlovs experiments - would be quite easy to look at them and say 'whats the point of that?' But actually it taught us lots, not just about animals but about how the human mind works too

There are likely to be conditions that can be helped by a greater understanting of inteligence, problem solving and how the mind works

and it can totaly teach us as a species a little humility to the other animals around us, we constantly think we are the top of an evolution tree, and us and only us has the 'higher emotions' like love and empithy. That only humans use tools. opps wrong, well only us make tools, opps wrong, well only us ......
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »