Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff
At the end of the day Mic knows whats he's doing and what he did with that dog he's proberbally done many times before. He did what he had to do under the circumstances, he did it quickly with little fuss and got the desired affect which was respect.
I have to agree with this comment. Mic handled the situation quickly and efficiently and without fuss or damage to either dog or Mic.
Quite impressive under the circumstances.
Elaine
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
First of all - I've just watched yesterday episode - and I didn't see the Weim gasping when it got up.

Secondly - I think Mic did the right think. The dog had got away with biting for too long - saying no, telling it to sit down, pushing it away etc did nothing, as the dog was too worked up - SOMETHING had to be done.
Also - like Mic has mentioned before - not everything that is filmed is shown!
I've got recorded and it was definitely gasping; either that or it was suddenly trying to imitate a goldfish out of water It was kind of gasping with a raspy sound as it was held down.

Hevvur, you say telling No, pushing the dog away etc didn't work - of course it didn't, they never do as they are not good techniques for teaching, they if anything simply reinforce the behaviour! It's like play for the dog.

Modern trainers can stop a dog from doing over the top stuff like that without throwing the dog to the floor.

I think in this kind of discussion it'is easy to pick and choose what seems to support our arguments - it is a fact that people have been injured from doing alpha rolls or similar.

The Monks of New Skete pushed this technique for pet dogss. They also, later, took it back and said it was not a good idea. So the ones who were all for it at one stage took it back - wonder why?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by ElaiRs
You wouldnt believe how many times we see dogs behave like the ones you deal with and it is generally down to bad ownership and lack of training. Sometimes a short sharp shock from someone who really knows his stuff is what is needed for the owners to face the reality.
Why should the dogs not be trained correctly instead of having to suffer a "short sharp shock"? As you say, it is the owner's fault so why make the dogs pay for their mistakes?

As for someone who really knows his stuff - why are people so easily impressed with someone who is military - is it the uniform?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I have to agree with this comment. Mic handled the situation quickly and efficiently and without fuss or damage to either dog or Mic.
Quite impressive under the circumstances.
Elaine
I know of a dog who was trained like this, she was supposed to be "dominant"

. She ended up with a good trainer who has now adopted her and who is stilll helping her overcome her problems - she was "apparently" aggressive which is why she was roughed up in training, yet she was in truth terrified and defending her self.

I'm certainly not impressed I am afraid. It's easy to use brawn and not brain, sorry!

It's what i used to do in the past myself and would never do again.

One thing i have noticed is that those who are actually involved in training and behaviour to a greater or lesser degree are very much dislikiing the show, and those who are pet owners and who may not know about how dogs learn are liking it. I think this probably explains a lot of the comments here and on other forums.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I ain't impressed one bit that this bloke wears a uniform,he could wear a pinnie and rollers for all I care, what impressed me was the quick reaction, a definate result and the respect that dog learnt by using that method.
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
Why should the dogs not be trained correctly instead of having to suffer a "short sharp shock"? As you say, it is the owner's fault so why make the dogs pay for their mistakes?

As for someone who really knows his stuff - why are people so easily impressed with someone who is military - is it the uniform?
I think you picked me up wrong in my posting. I didnt mean the dogs getting a quick sharp shock, I meant the owners. I like Mic's attitude and firmness with the owners of the dogs. At the end of the day it is the owners who have caused the bad behaviour seen in the dogs.
Elaine
ElaiRs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
I know of a dog who was trained like this, she was supposed to be "dominant"

. She ended up with a good trainer who has now adopted her and who is stilll helping her overcome her problems - she was "apparently" aggressive which is why she was roughed up in training, yet she was in truth terrified and defending her self.

I'm certainly not impressed I am afraid. It's easy to use brawn and not brain, sorry!

It's what i used to do in the past myself and would never do again.

One thing i have noticed is that those who are actually involved in training and behaviour to a greater or lesser degree are very much dislikiing the show, and those who are pet owners and who may not know about how dogs learn are liking it. I think this probably explains a lot of the comments here and on other forums.
Yes I was impressed at how quickly and efficiently Mic handled the situation after having been bitten by the dog. (nothing to do with the uniform lol)
How would you react in the same situation? I'm genuinely interested and wiling to learn.
Elaine
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-03-2006, 04:37 PM
also they only have a week, which imo isnt long enough, if they did it over a month then other training regimes come in like what the met police dogs use, however this also requires the critical period.

for these cases and given the time period i feel the techniques are correct.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff
I ain't impressed one bit that this bloke wears a uniform,he could wear a pinnie and rollers for all I care, what impressed me was the quick reaction, a definate result and the respect that dog learnt by using that method.

LOL @ the pinnie and rollers

Thing is, I used to do this over 20 years ago (not actually alpha rolling, I only did that once) and had impeccable timing and yes sometimes it worked - but sometimes it didn't.

I have better results using other techniques now, although not so impressive, they work i'd say, better
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I think you picked me up wrong in my posting. I didnt mean the dogs getting a quick sharp shock, I meant the owners. I like Mic's attitude and firmness with the owners of the dogs. At the end of the day it is the owners who have caused the bad behaviour seen in the dogs.
Elaine
I'm finding it hard to keep up lol...yes the owners, that's good then!
Page 12 of 18 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »