View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2010, 07:54 AM
I apologise for any offence caused, it wasn't my intention. I should've worded my feelings differently with a little more thought. I'm sorry.

There are people who jump on the bandwagon though and use things such as this as an excuse to get out of doing things, such as working etc (not talking about any of you) and that is not right.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I apologise for any offence caused, it wasn't my intention. I should've worded my feelings differently with a little more thought. I'm sorry.

There are people who jump on the bandwagon though and use things such as this as an excuse to get out of doing things, such as working etc (not talking about any of you) and that is not right.
Thanks for the post Nic

I appreciate the point raised about people using it as an excuse and yes, sadly that does happen, it is very difficult, I would say impossible, to fake moderate and certainly severe depression, as unless you have been through the despair it is impossible to imagine just how dark it is. But yes people do say I am depressed when what they mean is I am having a bad day, or in some cases a bad hour.

True depression is far far worse and is consistent or worsening over a period of time. Thankfully now it is easier to diagnose(accurately) and there is a greater understanding of it, though as it is a hidden disability there is still a long way to go.

But as more people realise the plight of true sufferers then human curiosity leads them to ask questions and the more questions that are asked or answered the greater a real understanding is gained.

Sadly, as with any illness, a minority people will chance their luck and use it to avoid work, childcare responsibilities, taking responsibility for actions etc etc but for every 1 who is not a genuine sufferer there is at least 1 person who has been in a very desperate place at the mercy of this terrible illness.

Hopefully the words and advice of those on this thread who have shared their personal experiences can help the OP and others who may read this.

If anyone is feeling depressed it is in my opinion best to seek advice as it can be a sharp downward spiral and thankfully these days it is accurately diagnosable as the changes that occur in the brain and in the body's chemical composition can be accurately detected and there are treatments which can help the recovery process.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Am now taking Citalopram(sp).
Feel better that I did something about it ..
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2010, 03:56 PM
funnily enough, i had my breakdown in December last year, and if someone had told me to take a kick up the bum, i would probably have slit my wrists, i succesfully came off medication in the summer, but since the nights have started to draw in i have once again noticed the black hole getting deeper, and SAD had crossed my mind, if it does get any worse i think i will be back to the docs as well
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Well done! What did they say it was?

Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
funnily enough, i had my breakdown in December last year, and if someone had told me to take a kick up the bum, i would probably have slit my wrists, i succesfully came off medication in the summer, but since the nights have started to draw in i have once again noticed the black hole getting deeper, and SAD had crossed my mind, if it does get any worse i think i will be back to the docs as well
Sounds very likely.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Well done! What did they say it was?

Depression .First and only time in 21 years I am out of work ..
To much time to think about things .
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Depression .First and only time in 21 years I am out of work ..
To much time to think about things .
Yes, it's a really hard thing to cope with and so easy to fall into a slump.

Hope the pills work and PM any of us if you want to chat, I'm sure we would all be willing to have a natter about things. Just talking with someone who understands can make all the difference.

xx
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Well done you. Actually taking the first step is the hardest part. It will start to kick in in about 2 weeks from memory.I had a few side effects such as wakefulness and nausea buy they soon passed and it was worth sticking with it. I am on it permanently for the foreseeable future, only a small dose though. If you have any questions give me a shout!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post

That used to be my pattern.I yoyo'd up and down with the seasons.....every Spring I would convince myself I was better only to crash heavily again in the Autumn. I now just stay on a small dose all year round which seems to keep me on balance.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Just wondering how folks are doing? It is a few weeks since we last spoke. Sending all those who might still need a hug a virtual one.....I know how hard it can be with all the Christmas extras piling on...........
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >