Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 08:58 AM

Poor Haggis (Newfie)

Oh popped out to shop the other night there and on his travels met our neighbours across the road who had their big daft Newfie out for a walk.This lad is soooo goofy and such a big softie,he loves sooking his blanket and humping the odd visitor.

Anyway as my oh was chatting to his owner the big Great Dane who lives next to us comes up the hill with his two owners and starts to pull and pull and pull,took the girl and her bf to hold him back.Next thing the GD 's lead snapped and he runs up and dives on top of Haggis the Newf biting his back etc.My oh never knew what to do as there were three people trying to pull the gd off Haggiseventually they got him off and pulled him away.Oh called me out and theres this poor big lad sitting drooling,I felt sooooo sorry for him as he had such a huge sad expression and was obviously in shock at what had happened to him.

Funny thing was during it all I had been sitting watching tv and Asta had jumped up to peek out of the window and was screaming the place down .Poor baby must have thought oh was in trouble and wanted out to help him not that she would have been able to help as she'd probably have bolted .Said to oh thank god I wasn't out with any of my lot as Paddy and Asta would have been in serious trouble but Kizzy is another kettle of fish as she wouldn't have taken kindly to being pounced on. No doubt if she had reacted it would have been a big bad Rott scenario

This gd started of as a pup going to Shonas classes and was doing really well and she stopped going due to not having the time to attend classes.To be fair on him though,he has been having a hard time lately with people allowing wee dogs to harrass him and off lead dogs being allowed to aswell.Guess she's gonna have her work cut out now as he's now around 3yrs.Couldn't believe the clip for his lead totally sheared off,was one of those leads with a chain and handle.Lesson learned by his owner to purchase a decent lead eh?

Gonna see how poor Haggis is today again,he seemed to get over it pretty quickly,no thanks to the gd's owners help anyway .She never even offered to pay for him to be looked at by a vet,just slinked off into her house and .Haggis went inside and my oh popped in to give his owner a few tins of beer,when we went to see him his owner said awwwww he's fine now,he's been upstairs with me watching Mad Max ,xxxxxxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Poor Haggis, glad to hear he doesn't seem too much the worse for it.

I always think of GDs as being gentle giants, but just goes to show. Think if I was walking him I'd have him on a halti or harness and training lead clipped to that and his collar.

Give Haggis a big cuddle from me.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Poor Haggis, it was a GD that humped Ollie a few months back and hurt him, we have to be careful if they are out together on the field now as Ollie grumbles at him. In all fairness the GD was only 7 months old his owner is working wonders with him and he is becoming a very good dog.
Sounds like those owners need a decent lead and to put some hard work in.
Hope Haggis is still ok, he may be wary when he see's him from now on.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 09:37 AM
awe...poor poor Haggis....

give him a hug from me... the big soft lump that he is.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Poor Haggis, glad to hear he doesn't seem too much the worse for it.

I always think of GDs as being gentle giants, but just goes to show. Think if I was walking him I'd have him on a halti or harness and training lead clipped to that and his collar.

Give Haggis a big cuddle from me.
Cheers Fiona,will pass on your well wishes to him personally

Can't understand why Calvins owner has allowed him to get to this stage.There are loads of owners of dogs who have busy lifestyles but hey we all to our best to solve problems before they get out of hand.

Haven't seen him out for walks since then and just hope his owner doesn't stop his walks.Gonna try and get a hold of her and see if she needs a bit of help with him,I'm not a big fan of halti's etc but for this big guys sake I think anything will be useful in the short term,xxxxxxxxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 10:10 AM
This gd started of as a pup going to Shonas classes and was doing really well and she stopped going due to not having the time to attend classes.

or maybe...someone told her...
I don't know as much as I think I do and Im are not all that
Oh the critics are out there
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
I'm not a big fan of halti's etc but for this big guys sake I think anything will be useful in the short term,xxxxxxxxx
I know what you mean, but if it took two of them to hold him (before the lead clasp snapped), it does sound like they need something to help in the short term - as you say, I would hate to think that they have just stopped walking him.

Really hope they take you up on your offere to try and help.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Aww poor Haggis I hope he gets over the shock soon. They are so sensitive dogs too. I love Newfies!!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
or maybe...someone told her...
I don't know as much as I think I do and Im are not all that
Oh the critics are out there
NAUGHTY NAUGHTY

Hugs to poor haggis
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
NAUGHTY NAUGHTY

Hugs to poor haggis
lol@.. for me thats far form naughty.....

what is naughty thought is being two faced... bitchy,.. and not saying it to someones face you know the score..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >