View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dogless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2008, 08:27 PM

I need help to get through the weekend!!

HI, this will probably be long so please stick with me. I agreed to look after my sisters dog this weekend as she is away. He's one year old in May and, although he has been at my house loads before- this is his first time sleeoing here. Now for my questions......... When he came in, he promptly peed on the carpet, put it down to nerves and cleaned it up (didn't give him into trouble). I took him out right after this for a 20 minute walk and he did nothing- on the way back in, he stopped and pooed on the landing! (again- cleaned up without giving him into trouble) He's not settling- even though he has his own bed with him. I've tried fussing over him but he won't stop wandering. Have now put him in the kitchen with his bed and toys and am leaving him to settle down. Am i doing the right thing or should i be fussing over him and reassuring him he's ok. (He's also whining a bit) Sorry this is so long
Navigator
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
You are doing the right thing. Dont fuss over him because if you do, you will not sleep this weekend.

MP3 players are a godsend in times like these.

And don't feel bad about it.

Pooping and peeing - just grit your teeth and wipe it up. If he hasn't learned yet, you are not going to be able to teach him during a weekend.
Rub your sisters nose in it

Nav
dogless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2008, 09:23 PM
thank you. was feeling rotten for him. my sister and i have had many many arguments about her dog...... and will probably have mant more!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Hello Dogless Remember he won't consider your house somewhere he shouldn't soil it is just somewhere other than home and he may also be feeling anxious and confused by the change in circumstances.

I would treat him as a small puppy, taking him out to relieve himself frequently and after food/sleep and giving lots of praise when he obliges

Is he getting exercise? A good walk (at a year old he could have 45 mins to an hour) will stimulate him to relieve himself outside.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2008, 10:31 AM
He sounds a bit lost - I would suggest lots of playing with him with his toys and perhaps a nice dog chew or rawhide to give him something to focus on. Good luck.
dogless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2008, 10:43 AM
hi. thanks for your help. Sonny's away home now, absolutely knackered as I was out with him loads! He'll sleep for a week.
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-04-2008, 05:07 PM
just makes you want to go out and get one of you own