Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
In doing so they have become too many in numbers and their "natural" behaviour has changed. Their natural fear of man is diminishing and therefore steps need to be taken.
Their natural behaviour changed decades ago, they've been living pretty harmoniously in London for decades, their fear of man has diminished as they have adapted but so what, we all adapt to different environments all the time what singles them out to be killed?

Also I don't think their numbers are increasing I probably see as many today as I did 30 odd years ago, different part of London but pretty similar number of Foxes and very similar environment.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
who!?? ...
College tutor, boss at kennels and I also asked someone at tiggys and they confirmed it, as they were trying to catch rats from the aviaries and relocate them too.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
College tutor, boss at kennels and I also asked someone at tiggys and they confirmed it, as they were trying to catch rats from the aviaries and relocate them too.

ahh ok.
Things have changed alot since i worked there then..hmmm.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Their natural behaviour changed decades ago, they've been living pretty harmoniously in London for decades, their fear of man has diminished as they have adapted but so what, we all adapt to different environments all the time what singles them out to be killed?

Also I don't think their numbers are increasing I probably see as many today as I did 30 odd years ago, different part of London but pretty similar number of Foxes and very similar environment.
Yes I agree to an extent, but their massive increase in numbers have forced them to act even more unnaturally. 10 years ago I didnt see many Foxes round here, but in the last few years they are everywhere. Gradually and there is info on this, the Fox numbers without culling have increased to massive levels. Their health is suffering too, which can not be a good thing for our pets either.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
ahh ok. Things have changed alot since i worked there then..hmmm.
Probally when I left they were no longer taking in rats I did just try to pm you but my phone timed out lol
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Again I disagree the ones round here are all looking pretty fit and healthy and pretty flippin relaxed and happy with their lot and who can blame them, food is easily accessible thanks to people's habits of either feeding them or not dealing with their rubbish properly. I do agree they are everywhere but don't seem to be any more prevalent than 30 odd years ago and if that's the case they haven't increased massively in numbers at all. They don't seem to live long on average about 2 years is all they can expect before meeting an untimely end on the roads. My animals have never had fleas, mange or anything else and aren't treated for fleas either. Maybe the foxes just all got sick of being hunted in the countryside and decided to up sticks and move to London I dunno but I like having them around, I find them harmless and as long as they stay that way I have no problem with them, live and let live is my philosophy.
They do say in London you're never more than 6 foot away from a rat at any time and I'm happy to say I never encounter rats that must be in some part due to the abundance of foxes and given the choice between rats and foxes I'll have the fox any day thanks.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 06:45 PM
No i bet there not...didnt think it would be long..Things have changed alot since i worked there i have heard, il be going back there for 6weeks next year though so will see.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Again I disagree the ones round here are all looking pretty fit and healthy and pretty flippin relaxed and happy with their lot and who can blame them, food is easily accessible thanks to people's habits of either feeding them or not dealing with their rubbish properly. I do agree they are everywhere but don't seem to be any more prevalent than 30 odd years ago and if that's the case they haven't increased massively in numbers at all. They don't seem to live long on average about 2 years is all they can expect before meeting an untimely end on the roads. My animals have never had fleas, mange or anything else and aren't treated for fleas either. Maybe the foxes just all got sick of being hunted in the countryside and decided to up sticks and move to London I dunno but I like having them around, I find them harmless and as long as they stay that way I have no problem with them, live and let live is my philosophy.
They do say in London you're never more than 6 foot away from a rat at any time and I'm happy to say I never encounter rats that must be in some part due to the abundance of foxes and given the choice between rats and foxes I'll have the fox any day thanks.
Unfortunately your argument becomes flawed when you say "harmless," on so many levels they are not harmless, we are seeing the bitter side to that now arent we?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Again I disagree, they are relatively harmless certainly just as harmless as domesticated cats and dogs which most of us manage to live in harmony with, so no I don't believe the argument is flawed. You may be seeing them in increasing numbers in certain areas but once it becomes commonplace to see them they seem to self regulate their numbers and stay at a pretty stable level.
The incident with the babies is tragic but it isn't the first time it's happened there were incidents reported decades ago of similar attacks. So yes people need to take notice of the threat of course and exercise caution but not over react and kill the fox population off.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 07:00 PM

No it didnt. Their behaviour has changed over the years, they are opportunistic animals and are demonstrating that. Some years ago a Fox in the town was a rare sight, not now though, still, perhaps some of the wallies that encourage feeding them etc.. will stop, as this is the type of thing that escalates any abnormal behaviour in the first place.
Page 15 of 20 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »