Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2007, 09:21 PM
some member
sam's mam
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2007, 09:24 PM
my apologies and i entirely agree with you but i am new to this forum and all over the place but when she is posting these things on an open forum should you not send her a p m and get it stopped
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Why are you annoyed, sam's man?

They are my feelings regarding Companion dog shows in general, not just our show yesterday. You have no need to be annoyed, we are all entitled to our opinion, whether that be agreeing with attending both types of dog show or not.

As for supporting the show yesterday, that my family and I did, in more ways than one. Despite not having my views listened to. Some comittee.
firstly you keep saying "our " show which makes me think its a committee discision. Which I find really unfair. I'm a member of the northern welsh springer club ans I make sure al comment are attributed to me
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
firstly you keep saying "our " show which makes me think its a committee discision. Which I find really unfair. I'm a member of the northern welsh springer club ans I make sure al comment are attributed to me
I mean 'our show' as in Greenock, my hometown. I am from Greenock and sam's mam was one of the organisers. It felt right to say 'our show', as in our local show. Hope that has satisfied your query.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2007, 08:00 AM
What makes me laugh in all this is that most of the people who don't go to open or championship shows say they just want to have fun with their dogs and that winning doesn't matter - but they're the ones wanting other people banned from the shows so they can win! Isn't that a tad hypocritical? I can't see any other reason for saying it's 'not fair'.

Debs
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Nobody hear has mentioned being worried about better dogs or handlers

The discussion (even tho you think there isn't one !) is about people who enter classes they are NOT eligible for and Judges who turn a blind eye, or aren't aware of the rules themselves !

....and we are all entitled to an opinion of how we feel about that
I was referring back to the original OP regards this not about the overall discussion.
Why so rude? Have I had a go at anyone no, just putting my opinion. I have read the posts (all of them) and commented on various aspects of the posts not commented on particular individuals. They're are various little discussions throughout the thread. Just because I don't comment on all of them, doesn't mean I'm to be dismissed on my opinion. Some of which was factual and correcting of previous posting to be of benefit to anyone reading.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Marionette View Post
I think that folk who genuinely support charities do so quietly - they don't shout it from the rooftops for all to hear. Those that do that are only doing it for one reason.

As for your comment "there are some very nice pet dogs out there." - I find this exceedingly patronising!
Hi Marionette and welcome to Dogsey ...
There is an introduction section if you wish to say hello to everyone.

We run a friendly forum here, I really don't think for a moment the other member was being patronising.

Let's give the "charity" thing a swerve, please. I am never, ever impressed by that.
..lets not leave the charity aspect out of this
a lot of money is raised for charities at these events.

It is a few years since I went to any shows but in my showing days we did our best to support local shows of every kind with our young dogs as well as attending all the Championship shows, the little shows are an excellent training ground for people to learn about dogs, have a good day out and to raise money for charity.

As a complete newcomer to Companion shows, I have read this thread with interest.
You say you are a complete newcomer to companion shows so ...

From what I have seen, these folk are entering these shows with extremely serious intent. There approach could never be described as "fun". They even kept themselves, and their dogs, well apart from the "fun" contingent. My eyes were well and truly opened.:shock:
...as a 'complete newcomer' on what do you base your opinion on shows....
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post

I am against show dogs entering Companion/fun dog shows because I feel it is unfair and there isn't really any comparison between most, for example, show Bichon Frises and ones who are not shown. I feel Companion/fun shows should be for the owners whose dogs aren't of show quality, but are adored family pets. Now, don't misunderstand me here, obviously there are many show dogs out there who are adored my their owners, that is not what I am saying at all. Owners should choose to enter either official KC shows or Companion/fun shows, not both, imo.
And how do you define of "show quality" - as others have said, just because some people choose not to seriously show their dogs, doesn't mean that their dogs are not of show quality. Equally, others who may enter official KC shows may have dogs that just aren't up to it.

I can believe that some people do take these shows too seriously, but how does that stop everyone else having fun?

Personally, I'm one that believes winning doesn't mean anything unless there is real competition. It doesn't mean that I don't like taking part - quite the opposite, I just know that I would rather come unplaced in a good class than be the winner in a poor one...and of course there is always the possiblity that one day you do beat the 'show dog' - boy would that then feel good!

If you know your dog isn't close to the breed standards, don't enter the pedigree classes, or enter for fun and to help the charity - but don't complain when a dog closer to the breed standards wins.

By the way, don't know anything about Bichon's, why do you say there such a difference between show and pet?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by WestieN
Hi Myra,
Nice to see you have joined!
I was referring to talks with friends who are entering the show, and yes, it is my personal opinion, and as I know of, a few others too.

I am trying to persuade a few friends to attend our show as they believe some of the Companion shows are unfair. Hopefully, they will change their minds and come along to support WAG.
Personally I think Companion Shows are meant to be a fun day out for everyone and the more people and dogs the better

Companion shows provide an opportunity for dog owners of every kind to meet and talk, those with pet dogs who don't have a chance to go to the big Championship shows often get to see some show and working dogs too. The shows are not about winning, they are about having fun.

The shows raise a lot of money for charities as well, I consider this to be an important consideration and I would urge everyone to support them .
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Personally I think Companion Shows are meant to be a fun day out for everyone and the more people and dogs the better

Companion shows provide an opportunity for dog owners of every kind to meet and talk, those with pet dogs who don't have a chance to go to the big Championship shows often get to see some show and working dogs too. The shows are not about winning, they are about having fun.

The shows raise a lot of money for charities as well, I consider this to be an important consideration and I would urge everyone to support them .
I agree.
The thing is as well. Is people do get into showing after speaking to people that show at Companion Dog shows. It's great to have a mixture of people there.
I was at one yesterday. In the class there was a guy behind me, got his family boxer in. Before he went before the judge. I had a chat with him and helped him with how to show his dog. Even simple things like running the dog on the correct side to show to the judge. It was all very light hearted, however he did have a nice dog and he said he would like to perhaps take it to the next step. So I was able to give him local ringcraft details etc. So I think having a complete mix at shows is great. I think people are more approachable with it being generally so laid back.
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 27 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »