Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 07:26 PM

Piriton help - how much to give?

Hi, jess my newfoundland has had allergies since a pup, after weeks of itching herself bold, antibiotics again and steroids again, i have decided to buy piriton

So today i bought some tablets (not the non drosey) sort but not sure how much to give her.

She is just over 50kg and had a dose of metacalm today. pain killer and anti inflamitary.

thanks any help appreciated. Have you been told by a vet that this is ok for your dogs?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear she's suffering, but so is Georgie at the moment, I'm sure it's the time of year for dogs like this. Piritons, I am allowed to give 4 a day and Georgie weighs in at 46 kgs at last weigh in, and he had a steroid and he has ab's, so it would seem any drugs do not interfere with the Piritons. Good luck, hope they work for you as well as they do for me, I sure notice a difference if I forget one or two! I assume you've got the ones that make her drowsy and not the non-drowsy ones coz you can't give those to dogs, you need the cheaper ones that MAKE them drowsy. Good luck with her, I know what you're going through.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Same here four a day but I can give an extra dose to the bigger ones if it helps buts that the maximum in 24 hours.
Hope this helps
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Same for Ollie 4 a day. Similar in size to Jess.
Probably weighs a little more. Like with any medication as long as the meds she is on don't already have the same ingredients as the piriton things should be ok, it is not wise to give different meds but with the same ingredient in. thats when you overdose.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I gave her 2 lunch time and then given her another 2 about 9 this evening, but she just doesn't stop itching....

If you gave another dose what would you do, 2 morning, 2 afternoon and 2 evening?

How long before you see her itching stop? any thoughts please

I think i have narrowed her allergy down..,...... don't laugh but its when she gets wet... for a newf thats a bit of a joke.

I have always suspected it to be this, as her itchyness always flared up when she got wet. (tried food and almost everything else we can think of with the vet first)

Took her camping a couple of weeks ago and she spent a day in the sea....for 48 hours she itched herself red raw bless her.

Anyway went water rescue training on sunday, because of her leg being in bandages (another story ) she hasn't been swimming, the bandages came off just before we went camping so i thought i would let her do a bit of training which she enjoyed swimming round all day yesterday. Came home washed and blasted her bone dry last night. Today her scratching has come back with a vengance, so i think unless i can sort it out with piriton or something similar my little girl will have to stay out the lake which is such a shame as she loves the water.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Kismet as a puppy was only allowed 2 per day...

But I can tell you that when Selkie ate a whole packet of them when she was a puppy (You can imagine how horrified I was) the vet called the poisons advice line and was advised that there were no detrimental or lasting effects of an overdose of Piriton, just expect her to be sleepy. Not that I am advising you to overdose, but just that at least according to my vet, there are no lingering effects if you accidentally do.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Kismet as a puppy was only allowed 2 per day...

But I can tell you that when Selkie ate a whole packet of them when she was a puppy (You can imagine how horrified I was) the vet called the poisons advice line and was advised that there were no detrimental or lasting effects of an overdose of Piriton, just expect her to be sleepy. Not that I am advising you to overdose, but just that at least according to my vet, there are no lingering effects if you accidentally do.
thanks for everyones advice.

I did a search on dogsey for some advice earlier before posting this thread, and i am sure i read someone gave there labrador a dose of 4 at a time? Thought it seemed a massive dose as adults were only allowed 1 at a time, so it makes sense what you are saying........ i have no thoughts to overdose her thanks for your help
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 06:48 AM
It is the original ones you need (not the non-drowsy) and I gave 3 per day (in one dose) to a bitch weighing no more than 20kg.

Think you should seek the advice of a vet as in such a large dog there may be a better way. As it will or may be up to 6 per day and that will become very expensive.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 06:58 AM
I think I would consult your vet rather than trying to sort it out yourself as it isn't getting any better.
I have eczema and I when it gets wet it flares up badly, I wouldn't be sure therefore, that the allergy is to getting wet,the water probably just aggravates the underlying condition.
Hope the itching stops soon, I have every sympathy! If you don't want to visit the vet they will give you dosage advice over the phone if it is a medicine the dog has had before.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Tonks also has an alergy but we don't know what it is yet. She gets spotty armpits and once it spread down her legs and she even had some on the beck of her paws. She was given an antiinflamitory jab and some antibiotics, but it has come back a bit in one armpit (after a wet weeks camping).

I think it is when she runs through long grasses, and oddly enough, it always seem to come when she goes through wet grasss.

I haven't tried piriton yet but think i will ask the vet about it next time we go. She is 7 months and weighs 18 kilos.

Does anyone know why dogs can't have non drowsy ones?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >