Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2007, 01:52 PM

ami i being cruel......?

hi all,

just a question i need to ask regarding my rescue springer sam. as some of you may be aware we've had our share of bad times, but things seem to be getting better. i have been unable to let him off the lead due to poor recall, or having never been taught to recall. anyway, i've found a place which is 2 mins walk from my house where i can let him off the lead (well his lead trails on the ground). i've been doing this for the last week now and he's been very good. he follows my directions when i say 'this way' or comes over for a nosey if i say 'what's this?'. he tends to have a mad dash first, then settles down for a good dig and nosey in the rabbit holes! my question is am i being cruel to both of them by confining them to this quite small area and not exposing them to different places? (the area is prob about half an acre surrounded by trees and a small grassy area in the middle, with houses backing onto it, its not totally secure either), they both seem quite happy being just there, and both come back panting like mad. in fact sam doesn't even pull on his lead coming back home!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
No, I don't think so. You are doing it to help him after all.
Get him really good there then venture furhtur afield.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't think so - it doesn't necessarily have to be forever and it sounds like a great compromise for the time being. Will give you the chance to work on his recall and hopefully give you more confidence to go to other places at some point in the future.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:06 PM
i was hoping you would say that!!! i'm feeling so much more confident doing this, and maybe i'll up the stakes a bit in a week or so by maybe having a shorter lead trailing. its great not being pulled all over too .
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:17 PM
It's the best way forward. This way you're getting him used to being off lead and at the sametime building both yours and Sam's confidence up.

I currently only let Tilly off lead in small park-like area near my home before I take her for long offlead walks in the woods near my inlaws place.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi Springer Girl why cruel? Very sensible I would say . You have come such a long way with your rescued boy don't be in a hurry, just continue taking small steps pausing now and then to reinforce them.

As I have said to you before, if you are both happy that is all that matters even if you never achieve a 100% recall.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
i suppose i thought i was being cruel because i'm not taking them both to new and different places, and even places they've visited before, and may i think i'm depriving them. but as i've said they both seem happy enough, and my confidence is growing! and i'm sure sam is very happy now he's being given alot more freedom . i dont think i'll ever get 100% recall from sam, but there again i dont from bronte if she's got her head stuck down a rabbit hole!! i'll be happy with 95% :smt002 . just dont want to risk spoiling everthing i've done with him, by maybe pushing things too far, so i'm just going to take things very slow and both our confidences will grow!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Not cruel! You are being sensible and taking things slowly which, after all, is best for dogs and owners!

Wys
x
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Agree with the others, sensible, not cruel!

How about planting a ball or some dummies for them to hunt out for. That will give them something to really think about which will tire them a lot quicker than just running around.

Are you on springthing?

Helen
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Sounds like really good thinking to me. your getting he ready for big proper walks when you know he'll come back every time you call him. they are enjoying their walk and run as they sound like they're having fun and getting tired out. No i think you've struck the perfect balance whilst your training continues.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >