Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 04:38 PM

I have work experience! (vet nursing)

May 21st- June 1st I am undertaking work experience at a vet's with the aim of going on to do a veterinary nurse apprenticeship!!

I'm really excited, I know that vet nursing isn't all it's cracked up to be in some ways and I know I'm going to get yucky jobs but it's something I've always wanted to do (just never thought I could!)

So... wish me luck - it's just a shame I couldn't get work experience sooner! I didn't want to go straight into training without having had some experience first to know it's what I want to do so I'm just really hoping those two weeks prove it's what I want to do!!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Looks like you have thought it out very well, thats the way to do it :smt001

Hope it goes really well
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks Patch

So do I!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 06:08 PM
You'll love it!
I did work experience at a vets when I was 13/14 and I can remember it all!
From the afghan that came in all matted and neglected, the feral cat found to have passed her womb giving birth alone in the woods to this ladies snappy litle chihauhau.

I got to watch all the operations, hold the animals while they were being put to sleep (if their owners couldn't face it) and distinctly remember being squashed into a kennel to keep a drip in a dogs leg as he's been sent to boarding kennels without his diabetes medication, poor pup.

To be honest theres no more mucky jobs than you get as an owner so its fine. I did always have to disinfect the whole place at the end of everyday though. I'm not a fan of scrubbing floors

You've got to let us know how you get on!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 10:09 PM

my daughter wants to go in to vet nursing too xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys...

I'm really hoping that if all goes well they'll be able to offer me a training position there but I'm not sure, having spoken to them it seems they're constantly taking students for work experience!

Oh well! I'll do the work experience and if I'm still sure about it, I'll find somewhere to train!

My mum did say though 'you do realise you're going to have to learn to button it because you're going to see animals come in who have been neglected or whatever'...
I'm not really one for confrontation though I'm sure I'll manage to keep it buttoned!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks guys...

I'm really hoping that if all goes well they'll be able to offer me a training position there but I'm not sure, having spoken to them it seems they're constantly taking students for work experience!

Oh well! I'll do the work experience and if I'm still sure about it, I'll find somewhere to train!

My mum did say though 'you do realise you're going to have to learn to button it because you're going to see animals come in who have been neglected or whatever'...
I'm not really one for confrontation though I'm sure I'll manage to keep it buttoned!
I do remember at 13 I was able to get away with letting the owners know what we all thought of them as I didn't officially work there.
We had a cocker spaniel come in with extremely matted ears and I did tell his owners when they came to collect him that they needed to look after him better and get his ears sorted on a regular basis.... thats he couldn't groom himself!

It will be difficult though, but at least everyone else who works there will feel the same, you won't be alone at despairing at some owners ignorance.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

22-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Hope it all works out for you Lottie. Good Luck.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Good Luck Lottie

i have to start looking for a work placement in september for my diploma course but am thinking of applying to the local zoo or the rainforest in Denmark good excuse for a holiday
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2007, 06:15 PM
oh that sounds fascinating Jackie!

I can't go too far at the moment because of my dogs, and because I'm having regular hospital appointments and awaiting a surgical procedure...

So Sheffield it is!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >