Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Raw fed puppies - feeding amounts?

My mum's decided to switch her pup to raw and I'm helping her out, working out amounts of things etc. for her.
However, I've never fed a raw pup and just wondered how those that have worked out daily amounts? I've been working on 3% of her expected adult weight (estimate as she's a cross) as this is what I've read online, the amounts look small but then again, she's a weeny dog compared to my two! Bella's a bit like Kiki in that she's very food orientated so even after a big dinner she's hovering around expecting more food. My mum's worried she's going to underfeed her but I've said she'll soon notice weightloss if she is. Just really wanted someone to come along and let me know how they worked out amounts so I can see if Bella needs more or if she's on about the right feed.
If it affects anything, she's 23 weeks old this Saturday.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I've got a cocker pup here, who's been on raw since about 13 weeks of age, he's approx 21 weeks old now, and, because he's not really been that interested in his third meal, I've cut him down to two meals this week, and he's doing very well. He's given just under 1/2 lb of green tripe most mornings, and then about half a chicken back for his tea.

I've got a rough guide of what I feed which includes weights for a Labrador size pup, if you pm me your email address I'll send it over for you.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 02:15 PM
She's a Collie cross and I've worked it out at 1/2lb meat, a little bit of offal and a chicken neck a day (once my mum's a little more confident we can move to carcasses, but for now I've made sure each day is identical amounts of meat, offal and bone so my mum doesn't have to worry about giving the correct amount of everything). My mum was feeding her 3 times a day with NatureDiet but there's a lot less raw meat than there is NatureDiet so she was thinking of doing it as 2 meals. Doesn't sound like she's getting too little if that's similar to what a Cocker pup the same age is getting then! Bella could do with putting on a little weight at the moment as she went through a growth spurt and looks a bit lanky so I'll see how she goes and decrease if/when necessary I think.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Just bumping this up, pup is eating as much as she should be according to the sums, and doesn't look overly skinny (quite lean but she is still growing) but my mum is saying she's constantly looking for more food. She is very food orientated but my mum's worried she's not feeling full up on the raw, as it is lower in volume than the Naturediet.
I'm thinking of preparing her a batch of meat with some blended veggies to bulk it out and see if that helps but just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same and had any tips? I'm going to take a nice raw meaty bone over today for her to have a good gnaw on, I initially gave my mum some chicken necks to start off with but Bella's eaten them within seconds! Sections of rib were next but apparently Bella would fit in as much in her mouth as possible and try to swallow it! So my mum has to sit and hold one end. I've got some RMBs that are almost as big as Bella herself so no way she can fit them in her mouth and she can just have access for 10 minutes or so at a time then it can be put away until next meal time, maybe the fact that she'll be forced to eat it slowly will make her feel more full (her dinners disappear in seconds)

(and she's definately up to date on worming so that shouldn't be an issue)
pasiphae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:54 PM
sorry to jump on this thread but it's pretty much what I wanted to ask

I'm still confused though Freckles is nearly 7 months and having read everything on here I'm seriously considering switching her to raw. I cant figure out how much of everything she needs. I'm probably just thick but is there an optimum amount of each to feed? How do I work out a portion size of veg to go with the meat etc?

So sorry if I'm just not understanding and this is a stupid post
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:15 PM
A puppy needs to eat 10% of its own weight or 2- 3% of its projected adult weight.

An adult dog should have two meals a day in order to ensure stable blood sugar levels, break up the day and minimise the risk of bloat.

Roughly speaking if you feed one meal per day of RMB eg turkey leg, chicken thighs, legs, wings etc and another meal of something else like mince or offal you can#t go far wrong.

Do not feed vegetables with tripe, heart or liver, kidneys they are all laxative.

The amount of veggies you need would be or example one carrot, a tbsp of peas or pureed veg per day.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2011, 06:34 PM
The current puppy is the first one i've bought up totally on raw from when she landed with me at about 11 weeks.

Usual meals for her were - a chicken wing morning and evening (2 jointed one, bashed up at first with the mallet), for lunch she'd have a couple of spoonfuls of mince (lamb, beef or rabbit) and for supper the same.

She'd have twice a week about an oxo sized lump of heart in her mince, once a week a raw egg, with shell, and occasionally a dollop of live yoghurt. a couple of times a week supper was pilchards (in tomato sauce but washed off)

She also got larger bones but until she could actually eat them as a meal as the larger/older dogs do they just counted as recreational.

She's now 7 months and down to 2 meals, usually a wing in the morning and mince/offal/eggs/pilchard for tea....I only do veg occasionally (usually when i have left overs)