View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2005, 05:05 PM
8 yrs for a stud dog is boardline i would think it depends on the breed and their life span.
i know with leos there is no age limit on studs as long as they are at least 18 months+.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by leo
8 yrs for a stud dog is boardline i would think it depends on the breed and their life span.
i know with leos there is no age limit on studs as long as they are at least 18 months+.
..Hi Leo I agree for a tried stud dog maybe, but for a first time mating 'pet' dog not a good idea I think ....people with pet dog get these odd notions then can't cope with a dog when it has covered its first bitch and chases after every whiff of bitch in season.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2005, 05:26 PM
very true it changes them.... tob is a good little boy at the mo.........lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by leo
very true it changes them.... tob is a good little boy at the mo.........lol
lol I hope he stays that way
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by leo
Kali's dad ("Toss") was 12 when he sired Kali's litter, but then, he wasn't exactly a stud (in his own mind, perhaps?) and went on for another 4 years after (probably living on his memories ). Kali shows no signs of having had an "old" dad. But. of course, Toss was a farm dog, not an intended breeding dog, and, being the boss dog on the farm, he was just insisting on "Jus Primae Noctis" (as if he were an Anglo-Saxon chieftain!).

Kali is nearly 12 now - I suppose that he could sire a litter still, but he ain't getting the chance, if I have anything to do with it . Snorri is nearly 8, and is, no doubt, physically capable too, but with his epilepsy, he's not getting the chance, either

Neither of the Boys have been "done". I'd be furious if it happened accidentally, but I'd be more likely to throttle the vet than sue him! I'd be doing the place a favour - a vet that can mistake one end of a dog from the other is no vet, IMO. Better struck off* than sued!

*no, I don't mean his nuts

Snorri
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2