View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2009, 08:49 PM
well that litter was obviously not accidental!
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Harry25 View Post
I'm not doubting it's possible, but the whole thing sounds so wrong - why would you do that?
Effectively you get two litters at the same time. It's a very good way of increasing the gene pool in a breed that has large litters (that may not be easy to find the right homes for), but may itself be quite rare. It has been done in the US with Otterhounds.

Can't quite understand why anyone would think it is impossible? It's why, when you mate a bitch you still have to keep her apart from other dogs until you are sure her season has finished.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Totally possible if the owner is irresponsible enough.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Sounds like a job for Jeremy Kyle if you ask me:

"The DNA results show that the Alsation/Bull Terrier (*delete as appropriate*) IS the Puppy's Father".....................
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I think cats are the same.
Queens don't actually ovulate until they have been mated & I would have thought that if a queen had been mated & conceived she would not ovulate again it mated by a different Tom. The second mating would have to be very shortly after the first by the second Tom before the first fertilized eggs adhered to the lining of the womb.

Maybe a cat breeder on here could elaborate on this. I've never had an entire tom or queen that was old enough to breed.
Deborahjane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2009, 11:01 AM
my persian queen escaped while in season and was gone for 3 days...devastated! she had a litter of 2 black toms, a tortie, a tabby and beautiful silver female like the mother. I asked the vet how it was possible and a female whilst in season will mate with as many toms as she can find and all will be the father!!! Thankfully she was a brilliant mother and all kittens found forever homes and she was spayed as soon as possible.
taniamiff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2009, 03:26 PM
OMG, I never knew that could happen. Learn something new everyday
GoldieBoy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Wow,

that's amazing. I have a male Dog, so I'm not up on breeding - but that is incredible!

Andy.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Queens don't actually ovulate until they have been mated & I would have thought that if a queen had been mated & conceived she would not ovulate again it mated by a different Tom. The second mating would have to be very shortly after the first by the second Tom before the first fertilized eggs adhered to the lining of the womb.

Maybe a cat breeder on here could elaborate on this. I've never had an entire tom or queen that was old enough to breed.
A vet told us this, something to do with the hours between going into heat and ovulating, but I am not a cat breeder
Found this - http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/litter...different/1299
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2