Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:30 AM

Rally-O

We went along to the first session yesterday and Daisy thoroughly enjoyed herself. It seems to be a sport all dogs can do - we had a bulldog, a spaniel, a collie and a schnauzer - and it`s also suitable for old birds like me who don`t do runnin`. Basically you follow a course of cones, which are labelled with instructions on what to do next - turns, positions, actions etc.
The only problem I can see is that as it is a new sport in the UK, there is a bit of jockeying for position among various factions, who are running courses and `licensing` it etc. One person had gone on one course, and one had gone on another, and the two styles were pretty different. One was veering towards Obedience style (tight in, emphasis on positions, rules about commands), which was not present in the other way - or in the videos of the American events on Youtube. I hope they sort themselves out. Perhaps there`ll be a split as with HTM where they introduced Freestyle for those of us who don`t like the more regimented methods?
Jolly good fun, and nice for dogs with issues (you are in the enclosure alone) and for all levels (there are grades of event, novice to advanced).
Looking forward to next week.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Sounds really good fun. I'm hoping someone will put on rally-o events around here but would like the more easy going approach as Tala isn't too interested in doing obedience heelwork