View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
edgey
New Member!
Male 

30-05-2010, 08:23 PM

Saying hi (is my dog suitable for schutzhund)

hi my name is lee im from england,me and my gf have a lovely 5 month old shar pei.i was basically coming on here for advice off anyone as to weather a shar pei is suitable for schutzhund?thanks in advance for any replies.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2010, 09:36 PM
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2010, 09:13 AM
schutzhund aren't they protection dogs??? Sorry for my naivety.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Schutzhund- or as it is now called Vielseitigkeitspruefung für Gebrauchshund-VPG isn't all about the protection phrase-although many lay people still think this.

Any dog can be trained for VPG, however to actually complete the dog has to have passed certain required health tests. The non protection & non jumping phrases can be taught to any breed or non breed of dog & all dogs have to pass the BH(Begleithund)-Companion Dog test-before being allowed to compete in VPG or start the protection phrase of VPG.

I very much doubt that a Shar Pei would pass all the health tests to compete in VPG here in the UK, however as I have already written any dog can do the basic training
edgey
New Member!
Male 

31-05-2010, 04:05 PM
thanks for the replies.Vielseitigkeitspruefung für Gebrauchshund(copied and pasted)is something that id really like to do with him,or something along those lines.maybe basic obedience courses?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I would start with basic obedience at a club that uses motivational methods & you need to start asap

Have a look here for a club near you