Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Multi sports

Celt and Etta and I have just done a multisports assessment day.

It was Ettas first and she got core level one which is basic obedience with a bit of a twist (stay for a minute while you are sitting down). Then she got level one in retrieve, assistance dog, gundog and ringcraft. She tried agility, tricks and htm but really isn't ready.

Celt didn't pass his level 2 core as he wouldn't stay by my side for 2 mins---but I haven't trained him at all as he seems to have more problems heath wise. He did get htm level 2 and assistance level one.

I am chuffed with both of them.

rune
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-03-2010, 09:02 PM
well done rune, sounds like a good day all round
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Yay

Good going
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Never heard of one of them!
Well done tho!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 09:53 AM
That sounds like a really interesting day out and well done to you, Etta and Celt

Can you expand on what they had to do for the assistance dog and what the difference was between a retrieve and the gundog tasks?

Do you know organised itand whether it is likely they run these days nationally please?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 03:50 PM
It seems fairly localised at the moment, we happen to have an assessor locally . I wouldn't travel to the midlands for it.

Info on this site

http://www.k9multisport.com/

It is harder than it looks as they are quite nit picky, you neither give verbal cues or hand cues but not both. Etta didn't get her trick one (a roll over)---you have to do each thing three times in three different places. On the third she knew what I was going to say so she threw herself down and rolled before I asked her to!

She jumped the little jump for agility and went to a target bit of material (they aren't allowed to look at you) Then she jumped back with it in her mouth instead of leaving it there---so she didn't get that one either.

She lost 1 point on the retrieve---she had to hold the article (i used a dumbell) for 5 secs while sitting in front of me. She moved the bell around to get it sitting comfy the third time and that was penalised.

The scent work I think is very wrong, they expect three indications without praise in between and in my book when you work scent you always praise for a correct one. So I am not doing that option, our assessor doesn't offer the tracking one either--TBH level 3 of the gundog one is beyond her as well.

Its fun though and its nice to aim at different things.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Sorry didn't answer the question, we did nose touch as an indication for assistance, she is great and holds the pose for ages, could have done foot touch which she also does.

Retrieve was a hold in front, gundog was sit at side while dummy is thrown the handler retrieves it. She was rock solid for that and I was well pleased!

Celt did level two of both and retrieve was obedience one with no finish, gundog was mark a dummy thrown by someone else and the fetch it, one time with a gunshot (starting pistol). He played with the dummy before bringing it back.

rune
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the link - I'll have a read later

Wow, it certainly seems quite 'exact', particularly for a pup as young as Etta. Makes your achievements all the more impressive
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Thanks for the link - I'll have a read later

Wow, it certainly seems quite 'exact', particularly for a pup as young as Etta. Makes your achievements all the more impressive
Thank you---she is a delight to train---especially after Celt!

She is 10mths now---time flies!

rune
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Thank you---she is a delight to train---especially after Celt!

She is 10mths now---time flies!

rune
It certainly does! having said that, I still think of 10 months as being very much puppy (although shouldn't have said 'young pup')