Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2005, 10:07 PM

Gardens!

Two questions really! Firstly, do your dogs use your garden? My two are terrible! We have a fairly large garden with two levels and my dogs just refuse to use it!!! It's now got to the point where when they've been for a swim I have to ban them from coming in the house?? Even after they've been fed! I wouldn't mind but they've got fresh drinkning water and a couple of blankets on the lawn to lie on if they want! Just wondering if I'm the only one with weird animals!
Secondly, to the dog breeders/rescuers! When considering someone for a dog/puppy how much consideration do you give towards the adopter/owner having a garden? Considering the above I'd never given it much thought, but then every dog is different! I'm looking at houses at the mo (Won't be able to move out for at least 18 months, but no harm in planning!) and will obviously have a pooch or two, just wondering how much importance is put on outside space!
Thanks Peeps!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2005, 10:14 PM
I have a horrible back garden its concrete and does not get any sun until 6pm in the summer so I dont use it much it handy for quick toilet trips thats about it. We have a park across the road so thats where we spend a lot of time.

Not sure about breeders asking about gardens We were asked if we had owned boxers before and if someone was home a lot in the day. That was the first 2 questions we were asked.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks Carole, never considered it before cos I have one at the mo. Just a case of deciding where to live in the future, not a nice area in town with garden or vice versa! Can't afford to live in the village!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2005, 10:34 PM
RS Amy loves the garden, she spends a lot of time out there going through her own little door, I have a herb bed which she seems to like sniffing ..the lavender in particular..she looks so sweet. The garden was very well kept until DW came along it is now in need of weeding.
There was a thread in HD about rescue homechecks/gardens..I think Lel does some checking so may advise you .
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks Mini! It'll help give me some idea of what to look at. I hope to have a Northern Inuit in the near future so guess I'll need some sort of garden!
I've spoken to a few people in the village over the last few days and they've all said how their dogs love spending time in the garden in the summer and my two just lie in thier pit!s They seem to think they're missing something if they're not in the house! I've bought some Kongs to give them while they're outside so should help! Found out today from Kong experimenting that Pickles doesn't like peanut butter??? Now that's weird!!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Lived in a flat for years and probably moving back to one soon - mine have liked the garden but still prefer proper walkies etc - when we looked for a dog to adopt we had all sorts of problems finding a rescue who would rehome to a flat.
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Well we *used* to have a back garden ...now we have a Moonscape Delta thinks the back garden is just for her to dig massive holes in Hudson only really goes into it when he HAS to .

Mind you, my FRONT garden is gorgeous LOLOL (Where da mutts are not allowed to go )
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Barney loves the garden. He'd spend all day out there if I let him!!!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Ive given up on the garden, scrumps has turned it into a runway, up and down full speed after aeroplanes! Digging in the side flower beds, little monkey!

Its gone to the dogs
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 09:08 AM
i dont think a garden is 'that' important if u really cant have one. As long as the dog is sufficiently exercised.
Of course, if u have the choice between no garden or garden, then havin a garden is handy